Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Clutch Stuck?

Hello
    I have the bike In my sig,what would cause the starter clutch to stay engaged once the engine is running?I have fried one starter after the engine fired with the starter engaged,put another starter in the bike and another starter clutch off a bike I know works,took the wire off the starter touched it to the Battery Positive to check if it was the solinoid,bike fired and same thing,starter runs with with the bike.The bike has a small end crank,I know for a fact the starter clutchworks on the other engine.Im lost any help would be great....Rotor nut to tight?End of crank worn?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2010, 09:35 PM.

if the small left side crank is shrunk and or the rotor is to big from being spun...
    the rotor will pull back to far and make the starter clutch act as direct drive sometimes.

Comment

Are you sure the solenoid is not stuck ON?

Use a test light or a volt meter on the starter terminal. It should show power when you hit the starter button, of course, but should fo OFF when the button is released.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Use a test light or a volt meter on the starter terminal. It should show power when you hit the starter button, of course, but should fo OFF when the button is released.

Or just remove solenoid output wire ( to starter), touch this wire briefly to battery positive( IN NEUTRAL), starter spins- does it stick engaged?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Or just remove solenoid output wire ( to starter), touch this wire briefly to battery positive( IN NEUTRAL), starter spins- does it stick engaged?
          Actually, that will only test to see if the starter is sticking, not the solenoid.

To do the same test a little easier, simply use an old screwdriver to short across the two large terminals on the solenoid.

To test the solenoid, you can also use a jumper wire from the battery terminal (on the battery or the solenoid) to the smaller wire that is soldered to the solenoid.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve thanks for the I tried this to get the solinoid out of the way"took the wire off the starter touched it to the Battery Positive to check if it was the solinoid"the bike was started this way and still the starter turned with the engine,also Im am on my 2nd starter so its not sticking.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2010, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
              if the small left side crank is shrunk and or the rotor is to big from being spun...
              the rotor will pull back to far and make the starter clutch act as direct drive sometimes.
              Thanks for the info,I used 2 starter clutchs both I Know work and still the starter is staying on when engine starts,what can I do to the crank end to make it work?The one starter clutch I am using has about 2000miles on it so I know its not worn.Any help would be great im stumped.

Comment

Actually, that will only test to see if the starter is sticking, not the solenoid.

To do the same test a little easier, simply use an old screwdriver to short across the two large terminals on the solenoid.

To test the solenoid, you can also use a jumper wire from the battery terminal (on the battery or the solenoid) to the smaller wire that is soldered to the solenoid.

The plan was to get the solenoid out of the picture. In my youth, I had a Ford solenoid that when once engaged kept power to the trigger wire somehow- internal short.
                In any event, sounds like blowerbike has the answer.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by gs1150streetracer View Post
                  Hello
                  I have the bike In my sig,what would cause the starter clutch to stay engaged once the engine is running?I have fried one starter after the engine fired with the starter engaged,put another starter in the bike and another starter clutch off a bike I know works,took the wire off the starter touched it to the Battery Positive to check if it was the solinoid,bike fired and same thing,starter runs with with the bike.The bike has a small end crank,I know for a fact the starter clutchworks on the other engine.Im lost any help would be great....Rotor nut to tight?End of crank worn?
                  Hey there, if it were mine I would take the cover off and inspect all the components. If you remove the idler gear, the large gear should turn easily in one direction and "lock up" in the other direction. The only thing that can "couple" it to the crank is the clutch rollers or the bearings for the large gear. A locked up bearing for the large gear could cause the starter to spin. Pull the cover......Billy

Comment

Originally posted by gs1150streetracer View Post
                    Steve thanks for the I tried this to get the solinoid out of the way"took the wire off the starter touched it to the Battery Positive to check if it was the solinoid"the bike was started this way and still the starter turned with the engine,also Im am on my 2nd starter so its not sticking.
                    If you did this and it still turned then the starter clutch is the culprit a common failure.Be sure all the parts in it move freely and no flats are worn on the drive rollers.....

Comment

Working...
                    X