X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

First I will give the bike info:

1982 GS650G 57,000 miles

Ok I was successful in removing the carb intake boots and only had to use the dremel on one screw. I took a flashlight and look in the holes at what assume is the valves (upside down icecream cone) and they were covered in a black crust like oil had crusted on. What should I do about that? Is there an easy fix or do I have to pull the top end? THanks for the help.

Is the bike giving you other reasons to pull the head?

Just seeing dirty deposits on the backsides of the valves is no great cause for concern, unless you know that it was running better than that, and this is a new symptom.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nothing to worry about - just a build up of carbon after 57k miles. Just clean it off as best you can and put it back together.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Should I spray something in there?

Comment

Just use an old rag, maybe damp with petrol, and give things a good rub. No need to get the thing polished.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

No I have no other reason to pull head and would prefer not to if no necessary but I do plan on checking the Valve Clearances.

Comment

Intake valves (the ones you're looking at) look like that when things are working right. If they've got gobs of carbon on them, all crusty, then there's cause for worry. Likewise, if they're light brown or white, there's some cause for worry as things are running too hot and lean then. I'd leave them alone, do your valve adjustments, they'll be fine.

Comment

Thank you. I will leave them alone. I just want to do everything I need to while I have everything else off.

Comment

Working...
                X