What's this bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this bolt?

I've never had the engine broken down entirely, so I'm in unfamiliar terriotry here. I've got a slight oil leak coming from this bolt. The bolt is near the bottom/rear of the stator cover. It's not a stator cover bolt, but rather is underneath on the bottom side of the crankcase and runs vertically through the crankcase.

If you look at the parts fiche under 81 GS850G, Crankcase, the diagram in the upper right corner shows a bolt(s) labeled 21-6. This is the guy I'm talking about.

Is this the outtermost, rearward most head bolt - the one closest to the #1 carb? If not, then what is it?

That's just one of the bolts that holds the case halves together. It doesn't go into any oil passages or anything.

Did ya try snugging it up?

Also, it's common for bolt heads to form a handy place for oil from somewhere else to collect and drip.

I'd clean off the engine, spray the area with foot powder, and see where the oil is really coming from.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

No, I haven't tightened it up yet. My socket set was in my car and the wife has the car. I couldn't tell what the bolt was by that diagram on Babbits, which is why I asked here.

I guess it could be coming from the stator - leaking out though that screw that's right in front of it. Thanks!!

Jim

Comment

Working...
      X