Reassembled it, rode it, and then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reassembled it, rode it, and then...

I just put the finishing touches on a top end strip down on the 550 to fix a base gasket
    failure.

I reassembled, did the valve clearances, synced the carbs one more time and rode it
    for about 50 miles. It ran better than ever.

Later that day I was cleaning up the workshop when I noticed sitting on my bench the
    front cam chain plastic tension/cushion bar. That's the plastic/metal bow shaped bar that
    fits forward of the cam chain and is partly held down by the valve cover.

I guess its supposed to dampen vibration on the chain? Don't know what its for. Bike
    seems to run fine without it.

But, being the type, I had to get it back in there. So next day off came the carbs and
    cams and I had to repeat all kinds of work.

Hey, at least it's easier the second time, hopefully there won't be a third.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post

Later that day I was cleaning up the workshop when I noticed sitting on my bench the
      front cam chain plastic tension/cushion bar. That's the plastic/metal bow shaped bar that
      fits forward of the cam chain and is partly held down by the valve cover.

But, being the type, I had to get it back in there. So next day off came the carbs and
      cams and I had to repeat all kinds of work.
      Been there done that. Back when I was drag racing pretty heavy, the motor came apart 3 or 4 times a month. I forgot that thing so many times I started calling it the "dip **** stick".......I guess it keeps the chain from rubbing on the block under hard decel in gear.....By the way, nice picture, you must be the guy on the far left........Billy

Comment

Working...
      X