Why are carb vacuum lines "open"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are carb vacuum lines "open"?

On my '78 GS750 I went to re-install the fuel tank after painting it (started a long time ago), and noticed that what I would have thought were vacuum lines from the carbs (one goes to the petcock) appear to be vented to the atmosphere? On slide carbs, why aren't these blocked off like on CV carbs? And why are only three of the four carbs fitted with these ports? Confused ..

Two of those three lines are actually VENT lines, not VACUUM lines.

It has been a while since I played with VM carbs, but I think the hoses on #2 and #4 carbs are the vents, the one on #3 is the vacuum line to the petcock.

The vent lines should be routed up, over the airbox, into calm air. If the airbox has been removed and pod filters installed, remove the vent lines.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Two of those three lines are actually VENT lines, not VACUUM lines.

It has been a while since I played with VM carbs, but I think the hoses on #2 and #4 carbs are the vents, the one on #3 is the vacuum line to the petcock.

The vent lines should be routed up, over the airbox, into calm air. If the airbox has been removed and pod filters installed, remove the vent lines.

Thanks. Explains a lot, but weird that they appear to be ported at exactly the same spot on the carb body?

Comment

The passages in the carb bodies are drilled differently inside.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X