X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange clutch disappearance

Help!

Hi Guys, I just started riding a bike I've been working on for the last few
    years, it's a 1985 GS 700e Suzuki. It's got 25k and is a really nice machine. This is my third day
    out and before I tell you what happened today let me say the first two days I
    spent testing this bike in all ways on all different kinds of roads and
    conditions, nothing turned up. Bike ran flawless.

Today (3rd day), after a 20 mile slow back road jaunt I turned on to the
    highway, I turned up the heat (6-7 grand) getting on and I went for third and the clutch
    lever went limp (cable style actuation), so, I figure broken cable, I turned
    around when I caught a break in the traffic and started for home. On the way back the clutch lever comes
    back, at first a little and then as I rode on, carefully, more and more until it
    was fine, normal. I rode easy all the way home with no trouble.

A few hours later I tried it out again and the same thing happened, it seems
    that this is speed related, engine speed. When it first happened I was getting
    out in to traffic with the power on (5-6 grand or so), right after that the
    clutch lever went south...

I put a new worm gear (a small mechanism that is between the cable and the push
    rod for the clutch) in when I changed the sprockets but only because I lost a
    few of the ball bearings and could not get others. There was nothing wrong, I just
    wanted to clean and lube it.

I've never come across this problem in all my 55 years of riding and I'm
    reaching out to anybody who has had this happen or has even a reasonable guess! This is just too weird for
    words!!!

I took the bike out tonight and all was well on the back roads, even with a few
    short blasts at higher revs, nothing at the clutch lever but normal feel.

Today I tested it again and as soon as you reach 6-7 grand on the tach the clutch lever goes bye by, if you nurse it a few miles it comes back. I'm going to pull off the left side cover and see if anything has come adrift around the worm gear but I have a feeling the problem might be on the right side.

Again, the clutch itself doesn't
    slip or have any problems, you can ride all day if you keep the revs down....
    I'm stumped for sure.

Thanks, Rick

check the entire pushing assembly.
    worn mechanism/push rod/throw out bearing/pressure plate.
    you will find the problem.
    with this type of clutch you can check everything before you install the clutch cover!

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      check the entire pushing assembly.
      worn mechanism/push rod/throw out bearing/pressure plate.
      you will find the problem.
      with this type of clutch you can check everything before you install the clutch cover!
      Yes, you're talking about the right side of the motor. Do you need any special tools to get at the clutch?

Thanks, Rick

Comment

not for what you will be doing.
        8-10mm socket/ screw driver ect...

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          not for what you will be doing.
          8-10mm socket/ screw driver ect...
          Thank you, I'll order up a gasket and get to work. Is there a bike that has the same clutch as mine, all I can get is the supplement for the GS700e. Be fun to know what I'm going to be looking at.

Comment

i used to get those symptoms from drag racing
            its like the plates stick together then release slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by rkj2002 View Post

I put a new worm gear (a small mechanism that is between the cable and the push
              rod for the clutch) in when I changed the sprockets

I've never come across this problem in all my 55 years of riding

you must be sorely mistaken.... kawasaki has the spiral worm gear close to the sprocket pal,

suzuki has a pivot arm/shaft and straight gear - not by the sprocket.

your description does not make logical sense. re-check the basics
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                you must be sorely mistaken.... kawasaki has the spiral worm gear close to the sprocket pal,

Well, on the inside of the inner left cover that houses the sprocket there is a worm drive to connect the clutch cable to the push rod that goes through to the clutch pressure plate. it is there I assure you.

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post

TRIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPERRRRRRR!!!
                  think again...700/750 83-86 had the worm gear like a kawi.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    i used to get those symptoms from drag racing
                    its like the plates stick together then release slowly.
                    This is a little more than that though, the lever goes all the way in to the bar with no resistance, just the return spring tension. I think Blowerbike is right, I've got something ready to let go on the right side, if there's a throwout bearing shes toast. I see in the bikebanit break-downs there is 19 and 20; a bearing assy. and a collar looking device that is in the right place.....

Comment

Have you had the clutch basket off?
                      Might it be something daft like the cutch center nut untabbed and winding itself up and down the shaft?
                      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                        Have you had the clutch basket off?
                        Might it be something daft like the cutch center nut untabbed and winding itself up and down the shaft?
                        this will be seen when he removes the pressure plate but yes valid point .

Comment

Originally posted by rkj2002 View Post
                          Is there a bike that has the same clutch as mine, all I can get is the supplement for the GS700e. Be fun to know what I'm going to be looking at.
                          The 83' GS750 service manual off Bascliff's site, it is the same engine basically.

The service manual has the same info as the supplement, then some extra info, not much, on the clutch in the engine section. Measuring plates/springs, ect..

I have never had this problem on the 700E. Interesting that it comes back and works after going out, and the clutch does not slip when it happens. The worm gear and pushrod would be forced back by the clutch springs. There is a small spring on the worm gear assembly, but even if it has popped off the clutch springs should push the pushrod back. If it didn't the clutch would slip. Could be #19 since it is the connection beyond the pushrods. If that were broken some how the pushrods would push #19 and it would push through without pushing the pressure disc #10.

Here is a pic of the clutch pack under the cover on the right side. In the center is #19. Once you pull off #10 there is #20. Sometimes it sticks to #10 as you pull it off from engine oil. #21 is there too, but it's just a thin washer for the bearings to ride on.

Oh, if you decide to replace the clutch springs don't buy EBC. Either OEM or Barnett. Barnett springs are around 70 lbs working load at the working height, a little less than double the load of the OEMs which are about 45 lbs. Stiffer lever but not much. EBC springs have a working load a tad less than OEM. Like 40 lbs. Rate is higher on the EBC springs, but the load, which is what matters is less.

Cable? There should be a tab where the clutch cable attaches to the worm gear mechanisim lever behind the left sprocket cover. If that tab was not bent to secure the cable end possibly it is not catching the cable right. The cable is in the adjuster at the lever perch correctly, right?

Weird. Fill us in when you pull the right side cover. Pics would be great if you have something broken.

E
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post
                            The 83' GS750 service manual off Bascliff's site, it is the same engine basically.

The service manual has the same info as the supplement, then some extra info, not much, on the clutch in the engine section. Measuring plates/springs, ect..

I have never had this problem on the 700E. Interesting that it comes back and works after going out, and the clutch does not slip when it happens. The worm gear and pushrod would be forced back by the clutch springs. There is a small spring on the worm gear assembly, but even if it has popped off the clutch springs should push the pushrod back. If it didn't the clutch would slip. Could be #19 since it is the connection beyond the pushrods. If that were broken some how the pushrods would push #19 and it would push through without pushing the pressure disc #10.

Here is a pic of the clutch pack under the cover on the right side. In the center is #19. Once you pull off #10 there is #20. Sometimes it sticks to #10 as you pull it off from engine oil. #21 is there too, but it's just a thin washer for the bearings to ride on.

Oh, if you decide to replace the clutch springs don't buy EBC. Either OEM or Barnett. Barnett springs are around 70 lbs working load at the working height, a little less than double the load of the OEMs which are about 45 lbs. Stiffer lever but not much. EBC springs have a working load a tad less than OEM. Like 40 lbs. Rate is higher on the EBC springs, but the load, which is what matters is less.

Cable? There should be a tab where the clutch cable attaches to the worm gear mechanisim lever behind the left sprocket cover. If that tab was not bent to secure the cable end possibly it is not catching the cable right. The cable is in the adjuster at the lever perch correctly, right?

Weird. Fill us in when you pull the right side cover. Pics would be great if you have something broken.

E
                            Brilliant tejasmud, this is exactly what I was thinking (other than this is impossible!). It's not a complicated mechanism, I should think I'll find something obvious in there. Thank you for the pictures and the time, it means a lot right now.

I'll keep you posted, hopefully it's something simple but I have to admit, this ones got me good...

Cheers, Rick

Comment

I have a few spare parts fir that clutch if you do find something or need an odd plate or something.

If you haven't been in there you may find that the plates are getting stuck together. Take them out, clean scuff, clean again. Soak in clean oil and refit. Check tolerances first.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X