I dont know what is wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know what is wrong.

I have an 82 1100e it was runningbad so I brought it to a good mechanic. He said rebuild the carbs so I had that done. The p/o had jets that were smaller than stock with a vance and hines and pods So he put in a dino jet kit stage 3 after that it wouldnot start so he pull the carbs 3 times checking his work. Still no luck. Then he rechecked the compression and notised the inside cylender on the throttle side was leaking slowly I dont know how slowly.He said it leaked out the exhaust valve into the carb. so then he fattend up that carb and got it to run not great but it ran. So then I was reading on hear and found out about valve adjustments and just got done checking them they were all good. So now I am wondering do I have a burnt valve or something? Is there anything I can check before I pullthe head? Do I have to pull the motor to pull tha head?

You need to do a "Leak down" test. That will tell you the shape of the valves sealing capabilities. Before that, do a valve adjustment. After that, sync the carbs. I have seen carb syncs so out of whack that the bike would barely run! The head will come off without removing the engine, should it need to come off. I specialize in this engine & build, tune & race them. If you want, call me at 714-356-7845 & I will help you & answer whatever questions you have. These are easy to work on & easy to fix! Ray.

Comment

Thanks ray I will call if I need help. What do I need to do a leak down test?

Comment

Exhaust valves don't leak into carbs... they leak into the exhaust.

Check compression yourself. Find a friend with a compression tester. Or buy one.
        Leak down test basics:

Have you tested any other systems?

Say, timing?
        How did you check your valve clearances?

Also, there are different series of jets. The more expensive ones number denotes flow. The cheaper ones, size. Make sure the ones you have are correct. What do your plugs look like?
        Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2010, 02:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I just solved a 'hard to start' problem on my '81 gs1100e.
          It would run and it seemed to have power but getting it started required opening the throttle all the way and using the choke on/off. I'd have 2 to 3 false starts before I could keep the engine running. Now this is with the bike jetted way too lean too. It was really hard to start. A normal person (such as the guy I bought it from) would have given up trying to get it started at all. He couldn't get it going and I was there helping him. I bought it cheap on faith I could somehow find the problem.

But now the bike starts instantly when I hit the start button. I checked my valves per the manual which you can download
          here=> http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...-SD-ED-ESD.pdf

Look on page 3-5 of this manual, which is page 43 in the Adobe reader that displays the manual. That has the valve adjust procedure.

I spent a bit of time and found every valve clearance on my '81 gs1100e was too small and adjusted them per this procedure. Bike starts up fine.

I have moved on to fixing the 'lean running' condition (different thread in this forum).

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! You may not be far away from a solution.

Comment

Remember....this is an EZ. They had press fit crankshafts and were prone to twisting. Call Ray and he can give you the "quick check" procedure just to make sure. All the carb tuning is worthless if your crank is twisted. BTDT !!
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
            X