Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial Clutch Disengagement

Hello,

I am new to the forum, and would like to thank everyone for their input on other threads. This site has been a big help for me. I started rebuilding a 79 GS750 in May that my uncle had cleaned up over the years. I now have then engine running pretty well (a little hard to start) and have since focused my efforts on the clutch and brakes.

I am having issues getting my clutch to function properly. I cannot seem to find the sweet spot in the adjustments (or have a bigger issue). It will either feel solid with the clutch engaged (locked into gear well) and be unable to completely disengage. Or it will completely disengage, but will not leave enough friction in the system for my kick starter to turn the engine over. I was wondering if anyone has had issues like this before.

I have replaced my clutch springs, cable and adjuster screw. I have tried to tighten the adjuster screw until pressure is felt then back off a 1/4 turn. My next step is to buy some calipers to measure my friction plates to see if they are out of spec, but I wasn't sure what other things could be causing this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey there Dave, welcome to the GSR. Although I am not super familiar with the GS750 clutch set-up , I think I see what you are dealing with. Correct me if I'm wrong. When you adjust the release screw the proper amount, the clutch does not release completely, but the kick start works good. If you screw it in some than the clutch releases better but the kick start doesn't work right. Am I on the right track???....There is no magic spot to set it at, theres only the correct factory adjustment setting. If the clutch wont release correctly when the screw is properly adjusted, than you have clutch plate issues. Either they are gummed up and sticky from sitting or you have warped plates. Pull them out and inspect them........It's not hard at all.....Billy

Comment

Check for a bent clutch rod and grease the ball release real good. Check the hub and basket for grooving from the clutch plates.

Comment

Slight side issue - if you are pulling the clutch to use the kicker, do I take it you are in gear ?

It would seem to me that you should be in neutral to kick the bike. Kicking it in gear seems like a recipe for seeing it take off without you one of these days.

BTW, my 750 is also super sensitive to clutch cable adjustment. To get it to hook up properly under acceleration, I have to tolerate a little creep when stopped in 1st. Not enough to be a nuisance, but definitely there.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Thank you for your replies. I finally had some time to get the clutch apart again. I should have looked at the plates when I replaced the springs because they were clearly worn. Two or three of the plates had been worn down to the metal. I also took a picture of my clutch hub. I do see some grooving on my hub, but really have nothing to compare it to. Does this look like it will affect function? I also think that the washer that sits between the bearing and the spring plate may have been missing, which could have contributed to my issue. I will give it a try this Sat to see if the new plates make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave79-750 View Post
            Hey Guys,

Thank you for your replies. I finally had some time to get the clutch apart again. I should have looked at the plates when I replaced the springs because they were clearly worn. Two or three of the plates had been worn down to the metal. I also took a picture of my clutch hub. I do see some grooving on my hub, but really have nothing to compare it to. Does this look like it will affect function? I also think that the washer that sits between the bearing and the spring plate may have been missing, which could have contributed to my issue. I will give it a try this Sat to see if the new plates make a difference.
            I'd get a new hub and if the basket is wore the same way, it too. Check the springs on the back side of the basket/primary gear. Just did my my clutch for the same grooving and bad primary springs.

Comment

I installed new clutch plates today and my clutch worked great. I think i just needed to install the clutch actuator assembly after putting in the new plates. Got to ride the bike for the first time up and down my street. It felt awesome. Still need to dial in my carbs, but progress is good.

Comment

Working...
              X