Left Side Knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left Side Knocking

So when I went out to the bike this morning I noticed the left side was knocking pretty loud. I didn't hear it while driving but didn't expect to either. I read some of the posts about checking the starter clutch, shims, and cam chain and I intend to break into it this weekend to look around. Valves were done in July and set to a .04mm clearance but I know they can still tighten back up so I'll recheck them. I also know I have an oil leak coming from the same corner because I got a little to enthusiastic about cleaning the old gasket off in that spot but it's not a major gushing so I haven't worried about it.

I also remember reading that some knocking is normal from these bikes.

So my question to you is when is knocking normal and should be left alone or when do I park the bike and start tearing down the engine? If I need to post a video I can but I'll have to do it tonight.
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 10-20-2010, 08:12 PM.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

My camera is dead right now so I won't be able to get any recordings for a little while. Hope to have it up by this weekend.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

I guess it would depend on how bad the knocking is, firstly, an engine is not supposed to knock, they are not designed that way, so there is play in there somewhere, that said, these engines do tend to pick up knocks due to loose/worn clutch baskets, starter clutches, cam float and so on, the thing is they are built like brick sh*t houses and can make all manner of noises for years without any ill effects.
      My 1000G has had an irregular knock since as far back as I can remember and I have had the bike for over 20 years, always wrote it off to crank end float and resigned myself to the fact that I will just live with it.
      Since being on this forum and learning so much from the brains here, I now realise it is probably something like a loose/worn clutch basket or the like, I will pull the clutch cover now during the restoration and look see, but if all is well in there, then it can stay as is and knock away to its heart content.
      So start with the easy stuff first before you start tearing into the motor, there are heaps of threads on this knocking noise, just do a quick search.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2010, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Where on the left side is it coming from?

Is the noise down low, like a loose rotor or stator?

Is the noise higher, like the valve train?

Comment

It's coming from the top and only when cold. Once it warms up it sounds like it turns to a hiss/whine.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I'd remove the valve cover and have a look. While the cover is off, I'd check valve adjustment and make sure everything is torqued down properly. Inspect your timing chain, make sure the tensioner is working like it should.

How many miles on the bike?

Comment

Thanks Al I'll do that shortly since the weather is turning bad. There's a little over 14000 on it.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I got the camera working today and after the wind died down a little (it was gusting to 35 this morning) I was able to take this video. As you can hear, there is a rattle coming from the left front side of the bike and it turns into a hiss after it warmed up from a 12 mile ride. What could be the cause? As I said in the video I know about the oil leak but I'm not that concerned about that right now.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

It's coming up saying it's not available yet. So if it doesn't play just yet please give it some time.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Sounds like an exhaust manifold gasket leak. Carb boot orings if you have them, might be cracked and worn out also. The initial sound seemed like one cylinder was blowing air out the exhaust manifold. Maybe check the tightness of the bolts, they like to snap, so go easy. Good luck.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Thanks Carter, I'll check that tomorrow.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I replaced 7 of the 8 bolts with exhaust studs today (stripped the hole with one of them but put the old bolt back in and it's seeming to hold so far). Although I couldn't ride it this evening (have a paper for school due by midnight tonight), I started it up and the sound seems to be just now a normal exhaust. I hope.

Thanks all for the help.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                      X