Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'84 GSX-1100EF using oil - any help appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'84 GSX-1100EF using oil - any help appreciated.

Hi guys. I've recently put an '84 GSX-1100EF back on the road. It only had 50,000km on it but was in storage for 6 years. I've added 3,000km to that and the bike is using oil at an alarming rate - up to 500ml per 100km! I assumed this was because of stuck piston rings (from being stored) initially, but after 3,000km I think it is something else.

Riders behind me say that the left exhaust silencer is blowing most of the smoke, and more when off the throttle (over run). Riding the bike, it seems fine - good strong pull and decent throttle response etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers - boingk

check the plugs see what they look like,bad valve seals will make it smoke
    Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2010, 03:24 AM.

Comment

When you let off the throttle You get a higher vacuum. Bad valve seals will allow oil to be sucked thru the valve guide.
      It could also be stuck rings

Comment

Cheers guys, I'll a look at the head when I can. Thanks for the prompt replies.

- boingk

Comment

Oil stem seals when off throttle.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X