GS650 spitting oil out of one of the carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 spitting oil out of one of the carbs

I am going to look at a GS650 tonight that has some kind of an issue with oil coming out of one of the carbs. The guy just emailed me to say that he got to work and his foot was covered in oil that was coming out of the carb. Is that even possible? If so, what would be the cause? I'm assuming it's coming from somewhere else and it just looks like it's coming from the carb...

The only thing I can think of (I am extremely inexperienced) is that the valve stem seal has failed on the intake side and oil is coming back through the intake and flooding the carb. I'm sure someone who knows will confirm or shoot down my theory.

Comment

I don't want to say it is impossible since almost anything could happen but...No.

Most likely he has an oil leak from valve cover gasket failure, head gasket, tach drive, base gasket, half moons either singularly or together. I had a half moon come out and spray oil quite a ways. There is no oil in on really near carbs, for it come from motor it would literally need to fill airbox and overflow into carbs. It likewise could come past intake valves and flow back into carbs but carbs are sealed for most part and shouldn't leak.

When looking over bike, check oil for gasoline. Mine had about a gallon of gas in it which I blame for most of my oil leaks. Petcock failure was common.

Take a picture of bike where it is leaking and post them. A word of warning, I will likely cost several hundred to fix bad leaks properly. Plenty of cheap bikes out there that don't need this repair.

Comment

Excess oil coming out through the breather ends up in the airbox, this could drip out and look like the carbs are leaking oil.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As others noted, there's really no place for oil to "come out of the carb"

There's no oil in it, and if oil came from the intake port into the carb, it would flow into the air box and drip out

Most likely it's the valve cover gasket. One of mine did that recently, failed after about 3,000 miles, sprayed the left side of the motor and my leg with oil.

Ask him when the valve clearances were last checked and whether that gasket was replaced.

Don't show that you know this is a simple fix, hem and haw and offer a low price.

A bike for sale that sprays oil is really not worth much.

How's your wrenching skills?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Is it this one?

Easy fixes for what he lists -probably a gummed up starter or solenoid, bad charging system, and some stripped bolts

sounds like a decent winter project
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Is it this one?

Easy fixes for what he lists -probably a gummed up starter or solenoid, bad charging system, and some stripped bolts

sounds like a decent winter project
              Yeah, that's the one. With this new issue that cropped up I think I can get him down a little lower so I think I'm gonna jump on it.

Comment

oil in the airbox will mess with the carbs, maybe a bad (reed)in the top of the valve cover, check the manual,or fiche,if its a worse case , thwe rings are prolly worne,or stuck letting oil blow by in the airbox
                charging, check all grounds, and connections,and use a new battery,if wires are burnt but still together they will not carry the correct amount of current/voltage,and if shorted together it will burn batteries,and not charge right

Comment

Have you checked the oil? If the crankcase is full of gas it can blow back out the airbox

Comment

Have you checked the oil? If the crankcase is full of gas it can blow back out the airbox

Comment

I like all of the oil spots underneath of the bike. If it is as the seller suggests, it most likely is a simple fix of a stud for oil filter cover. I see a lot of oil from center of head suggesting a leak from higher up (head or valve cover). This coupled with starting issue would give me pause. Check it out, may be in better shape than suggested. It is a comfortable bike when sorted out.

Comment

Working...
                      X