Cylinders 1&4 not firing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinders 1&4 not firing...

So here is what I have: bike has been running pretty good, but been having some difficulty starting, noticing a knock on #1-figured it was just due to age and our noisy engines.
    Tonight, it was a huge pain to start, and when I got it home, just for kicks and giggles I pulled the wire off of #1 while she was running. Didn't affect performance at all. Plenty of spark, not firing. Got to feeling the pipes, and #4 was cool, so I pulled that wire as well would the same result.
    My thoughts are: points dirty/out of adjustment, or am I way off in left field?

year/model?

Comment

Sorry, need to put it in my Sig...82 gs850glz. Steve cleaned and synced the carbs less than 1k ago...

Comment

Ok, what is the color of the spark, strong blue?

Comment

Yes. Planning to pull the plugs tomorrow and see what they look like.

Comment

I will do that tomorrow when I'm pulling everything apart.
            There was suppose to be a quote with this post...
            Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2010, 09:38 PM. Reason: explanation

Comment

Points may have slipped or that coil is bad. Maybe a bad condenser too since it's got points.

Comment

It's an '82, it does not have points.

Since it's 1&4 that have died, your problem is most likely in the ignition circuit.

Use your test light or voltmeter to follow the voltage to the coils, make sure you have power to BOTH coils.
                If you have power to both coils, check the power to the igniter, then check the igniter itself.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Since it's 1&4 that have died, your problem is most likely in the ignition circuit.

Use your test light or voltmeter to follow the voltage to the coils, make sure you have power to BOTH coils.
                  If you have power to both coils, check the power to the igniter, then check the igniter itself.

Didn't read the entire thread where he posted the year, just went by his first post.
                  Plenty of spark, not firing. Got to feeling the pipes, and #4 was cool, so I pulled that wire as well would the same result.
                  My thoughts are: points dirty/out of adjustment, or am I way off in left field?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Whoops...
                    I will do this and post the results tomorrow.

Comment

Try new spark plugs, seeing as though in your first post you said you pulled the plug wires off 1 and 4 and there was plenty of spark but not firing. I assume you means the cylinders were not firing but there was spark off the end of the plug wires. is that correct.

Comment

Working...
                      X