1993 GSX trans /clutch problem..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 GSX trans /clutch problem..?

Hmmm ?? I bought another 1993 GSX1100G a week ago. A 1 owner 9,000 mile cream puff. Well, Saturday i fire it up and let it get warm for a second, put it in gear and take it up to the top of my drive. I gave a quich spay off and wipe down. nothing big. So later on i went to bring it back down to the garage, and fired it up. This thing does not like the cold. My other one will fire right up, on half choke, let it run for a minute and you can take the choke off. 3 minutes with the new one and it still wont take throttle and needs the choke on. So I get impatient and let it idle down and grab the clutch. I drop it in gear and ride 2 houses down to my buddies place. Im there for 10 minutes. I come out, and it needs the choke to start. It fires right up., the ilde is high at about 2800. I drop it in gear. I goose it a couple times, and let the clutch out.. ......................nothing. I make another push on the shifter........nothing........I toe it up to 2nd........nothing........so my heart drops into my gut.......and I roll down to my house into the back. I get off and call it a day. I decide to shut down and as Im rolling it into the garage, I can feel the wheel is turning the shaft and the trans. so it is still in gear but i dont have the clutch in and the motor is not turning over???? I keep that in mind. Today I get up and get ready to survey the damage..?? I have it up on the center stand. I reach down, and click it down to the end of the movement. 1 half a click up. Neutral. I reach back and spin the wheel. It spins free and is not spinning the trans.. Last night I had nothing. The shifter wouldnt go up or down and I had no neutral light at all. So I fire it up.. let it get warm, drop it in gear and away I go...up and down the block a few times,... smooth as glass. all the gears work perfect. I park it and think.... Ok the clutch is hydrolic, maybe the plates stuck ingauged in the basket..? so it may not have released ?? Thats the only thing i can think of.. Ok.. so i get ready to put it away.. i fire it up... drop it in gear.............................same thing..........nothing. no gear no movement nothing.. no clunking no wizzin noise nothing. Like it broke right off on the inside and is not attached. I messed with the shifter, (by hand) it goes up and down, and feels like its moving in there like the gear is being switched. But no gear. i can find neutral this time to, so I shut it off and try and sqeezing the clutch lever, thinking maybe the slave is going bad..? not building up enough pressure ? I thought maybe by geeting more lever, I could force it to maybe push past and release..
    Nothing. just nothin........any body want to chime in and give me some thoughts or possibilities..? Its the air to oil GSX1100 motor with 5 speed and hydrolic clutch.. shaft drive. yes i have checked all the common sense stuff. oil. a pinched clutch line from master to inside where the slave resides, I imagine..it is the cluch disc stuck in the clutch basket right..? that is the only thing it can be. ??

Notice how we are rushing to this? I prefer real creme puffs myself!
    Anyways, yeah, this is strange. You said the gear shifter "feels like it's moving in there", but does it offer resistance or make any clunking noises?All the bike trannys I'm used to make it clear that you're moving stuff.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sounds like the clutch is permanently open to me.... Either the slave cylinder is getting partially stuck or something is getting stuck in the clutch itself.

9,000 mile creme puff probably hasn't been ridden a lot so expect things like that to crop up. You're probably struggling with idle for the same reason, gummed up carbs (pilots) from sitting so much.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Its all squared away. Just as you thought salty monk. The master cyl. has that very very small hole in the bottom of the resv. for the return as the plunger gets pushed out. That was clogged right up. So when I pulled the clutch lever in it never released back out. The old guy had never changed the fluid. It looked like syrup. I flushed the master, the line, and the slave cyl. I pumped about a half a qt. of Dot 4 through it with the mighty vac, and it's like brand new. The gas tank, the lines, the fuel pump, the pet cock, and carbs. are done already, that was day 1. I pulled the choke button up, touched the starter button and it fired right up.
        The nut that holds the pressure plate on the shaft is a 80mm. The biggest I had is a 68mm. I never did find one, thankfully I didnt have to break it down.
        I know what ya mean Tom, now it explains why I really didnt get a clear feel of the gear being changed. with the clutch in from the first pull of the lever, you feel the 1st engagement, and after that if the clutch isnt released the next movement of the shifter is soft . It is a true cream puff check out the pics..
        Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
        Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X