81-550T, need 9000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81-550T, need 9000 rpm

Hey, I still got it, so I have to improve it.
    I see in the specs that the engine is rated for 53.7 Hp @ 9400 rpm.
    But I don't feel any gains over 7000 rpm, and the engine don't want to rev much over 7000.
    My best deduction is that it may be weak valve springs causing valve float.
    Any ideas about getting those revs up to 9000?
    Thanks!
    Bill
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

I'd like to see what comes from this as I noticed the other day my 550T didn't want to go past 7000 RPM either.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Odd, I hit 11k all the time. Well, not in 4th through 6th, obviously..

Have you made any changes to your fuel-air system?

As in, airbox, filter, carbs, exhaust?

Comment

Some more details…

I'm talking about getting up to 9000 on the road, as it will get up there revving in Neutral.
        Let me also say that it's all stock except for a MAC 4>1 exhaust.
        I hear some popping and misfire as the revs get up, so I figure it's too lean as well. I've read the carb specs and am considering larger jets and needles.
        I'd sure like to get the full HP from the engine.
        Bill
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Put in the bigger jets, let us know how it works...
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I removed the airbox lid. I am running stock pilot jets, slightly enrichened air-screw, and 110 mains. The bike does 110 right now.

Synch your carbs after you rejet. Or synch them regardless.

All of my 11k rpm is while the bike is moving. I don't rev it at idle.

Comment

what does your plugs look like?

I take my gs550 to 9500 occasionally
              1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

OEM lean for sure…

Originally posted by mlinder View Post
                I removed the airbox lid. I am running stock pilot jets, slightly enrichened air-screw, and 110 mains. The bike does 110 right now.
                I had it up to 98-100 and that's it's best. The glass ignition fuse slid sideways out of it's holder and stalled the engine so I had to coast to the roadside that run, but I've since updated the fuse box.
                Thanks for the main jet size.
                Bill

Comment

It's easier to go 110 in 4th than it is in 6th...

Are you really trying to get to 9k in 6th? That isn't going to happen. I don't have the gear ratios in front of me, but that's something like 155-165mph.

Or maybe I'm making assumptions.

5th and 6th aren't good for much on these bikes outside of getting good gas mileage.

Comment

Are you really trying to get to 9k in 6th? That isn't going to happen. I don't have the gear ratios in front of me, but that's something like 155-165mph.

Or maybe I'm making assumptions.
                    You're making assumptions…

Comment

So... in what gear are you having trouble reaching 9k?

Also, please note that I have 110's with the airbox lid removed. Far too rich with airbox lid on, though a step or two up from stock is a requirement for best performance even with the lid on. These things were jetted so lean to meet EPA standards.

Comment

I'm talking about hard accelleration…

So... in what gear are you having trouble reaching 9k?
                        I'd like to shift on the torque peak at 8200 rpm as I climb through the gears. Right now there's no power gain above 7000 because it progressively misfires as the rpms climb.
                        I'm going to order 105 main jets today.
                        As you have your '80 550 CV's currently set up, can it hold an idle at 1100 rpm? Mine will die out if set below 2200 rpm.
                        Thanks! Bill
                        P.S. Best 'O luck on that 650 head swap project. Too iffy for me.

Comment

So I will back out of this conversation now as I was able to get mine up to 8000 before shifting from second to third. So I wasn't trying hard enough last week. But I do wonder why would you want to do it that way? Is it just to get out of traffic real fast? Only asking because I was sitting at 45 mph by the time I shifted and I don't really need to be doing 100 mph down the road (not that crazy yet).
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            I'd like to shift on the torque peak at 8200 rpm as I climb through the gears. Right now there's no power gain above 7000 because it progressively misfires as the rpms climb.
                            As you have your '80 550 CV's currently set up, can it hold an idle at 1100 rpm? Mine will die out if set below 2200 rpm.
                            Thanks! Bill
                            On my stock 82 550L, I found that shimming the needle really improved the performance. I am also running slightly richer main jet of 97.5 over stock 95. Mine easily overrevs, I tend to wind it out a lot farther since I am used my 650's power. Plus the 6 speed just makes you want to drop two gears and let it howl.

Can you do a plug chop at various throttle settings to get an idea how lean you are? I would check 1/3 and 1/2 throttle along with wide open just to get an idea.

I am a little surprised that it doesn't idle under 2000 rpm, I wouldn't think a pipe would make any difference at idle. Maybe someone can enlighten me why this is so.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                              Thanks! Bill
                              Nice to get a bit more info there.

The fact that it won't idle properly (mine idles below 1k if I set it there) means more is going on.

Possible issues: (probably more than one of these)

Not firing on all 4 (at least not all the time)
                              • Bad coils
                              • Bad plug wires and/or boots
                              • Ignition timing off (do you have electronic ignition? My 80 does, my 78 does not, I dunno about yours)
                              • If not electronic ignition, points are toast
                              • Carb Boot leaks

Other possible issues
                              • Carbs very out of synch
                              • Bad Carb diaphragms
                              • Low cylinder compression
                              • Bad valve clearances
                              • Bad battery/ground
                              • Bad advance unit (mechanical or CDI, depends on your ignition)
                              • Very clogged jets

When you get your 105's in, please re-clean everything in those carbs. Check everything on them. Just popping in 105's is not going to help you without making sure any of these other issues are not at fault.

Lets hear more about your ignition, yeah? Tested coil resistance? Plug wire and plug boot resistances? Checked advance with timing light? How much voltage at battery terminals at 5 grand?
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2010, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X