Crankcase question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankcase question

First of all, I want to apologize for not heeding the wisdom of the forum.
    My 81 550t was burning oil but also seeping pretty good from cylinder-valve portion of the engine. This also came at around the time I decided i would do the valves, so I though, hey, new shims and new gaskets, no biggie. I figured it couldn't hurt to remove entire assembly and clean (note unfortunate order of thought) but as I was pulling the cylinder case out I heard an unpleasant rattling. I then realized the rattling was from some dirt and other bad stuff falling into the crankcase.
    We are talking like maybe chunky kitty litter sized pieces, a little bigger than sand. Maybe shopvac with tiny hose?
    I think I am mechanically capable of splitting it, but I would rather find a different way to clean/remove the dirt without splitting the crankcase. Assuming I should be worried about tiny little bits of crap, which I am, a lot.
    I have an open knowledge tip jar, all 2 cents welcome. Any guidance is appreciated.

You could try pulling the pan and poring oil (at least 4 qts.) in the same spot the trash went in. The trash should flush out the bottom with the oil. You can reuse the oil for flushing more if you strain it between each flush. I’d flush it at least 5 times and turn the crank by hand a little between flushes. I wouldn’t use the flush oil for running. You still my not get all the trash out.

Comment

+1 with Graham, the only difference i would make is don't use engine oil, use kerosene instead, pour 3 or 4 lots from the top through the crankcase and wash, rinse out any debris. Your oil filter and strainer will pick up any thing extra that you miss. Kerosene is much more free flowing than oil and will flush the bits out easier IMO.

Comment

Working...
      X