Clutch seems to be slipping after oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch seems to be slipping after oil change

I changed the oil on my 80 GS1000 last week and used Rotella T triple protection. I used the 15w40 and the jug has the JASO MA designation on the rear. The clutch never slipped before the oil change but now it definitely feels like it its. Has anyone else experienced this? Suggestions?

That's the right oil, it didn't hurt anything. Adjust your clutch.
    If it still slips, check the clutch springs.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

yes, goto your clutch adjustment and loosen the lock nut, then turn in about 1/4 turn and then tighten the lock nut back up.. if that dont work you may need new fibers
      John 3:16

Comment

I've had this happen with the rotella.

It was explained to me that while the oil itself is good for our old bikes, it does break down the old oily crap sitting around from regular moto oils. That broken down old oil can then become slippery.

Rotella had me see 16k+rpm on a 69 cb750 due to clutch slip (and stupidity by riding it hard even when I knew I was having slip problems). Can you say "bent valves"? I knew you could

Maybe you do need to just tighten em down. But as I said, I've had this issue with Rotella before. Again, nothing against Rotella. Just how it reacts to the crud already in your crank-case and oil system.

Comment

Originally posted by mlinder View Post
          I've had this happen with the rotella.

It was explained to me that while the oil itself is good for our old bikes, it does break down the old oily crap sitting around from regular moto oils. That broken down old oil can then become slippery.

Rotella had me see 16k+rpm on a 69 cb750 due to clutch slip (and stupidity by riding it hard even when I knew I was having slip problems). Can you say "bent valves"? I knew you could

Maybe you do need to just tighten em down. But as I said, I've had this issue with Rotella before. Again, nothing against Rotella. Just how it reacts to the crud already in your crank-case and oil system.
          Other than replacing your bent valves, what did you do to rectify the problem with the oil?

Comment

Get new clutch springs. My old KZ had the same problem with fresh oil slip.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
              Get new clutch springs. My old KZ had the same problem with fresh oil slip.
              +1

New OEM clutch springs are a cheap good fix to slipping clutches.

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium View Post
                Other than replacing your bent valves, what did you do to rectify the problem with the oil?

It's been sitting since that (it did get me the 60 miles home, though...) Sold it to a friend, he's in the process of rebuilding.
                Everything will be flushed on that engine, I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                X