leaking shift shaft seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking shift shaft seal

so i noticed some oil drops under my bike a few times so i looked underneath. turns out its the shift shaft seal. i was looking in my manual and it looks like u have to take the clutch assembly out inorder to change the seal. is their an easier way to do it without removing the rightside case cover and clutch?

Originally posted by shinzon1 View Post
    "...turns out its the shift shaft seal. i was looking in my manual and it looks like u have to take the clutch assembly out?"
    Since your shifter is on the LEFT side, I'll assume you mean the seal where the kick starter enters the clutch cover. It that is the case, then yes, you will have to remove the clutch cover. Not that hard really. You WILL need an impact driver to get the phillips head bolts out. Drain the oil, remover the cover, replace the seal, clean gasket surfaces, install new gasket and cover, screw everything down tight, replace oil,...done!

Comment

I had the same problem (82 GS750E) and in trying to save some time and a clutch side gasket, tried to remove the seal from the left side with the shaft in place. Ended up messing up the shaft itself and causing a bigger leak. After getting another shaft from Ebay, and doing it the right way (which was quite easy), it is fine.
      I am sure it has been done but I wasnt careful enough.

Comment

ok. thank u very much. i was worried about something like that but figured i'd ask. i knew somebody had to have been through it before. lol.

Comment

Working...
        X