Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which piston ring on top?

Howdy.

The boy holed a piston on his '80 550L because of a loose exhaust.

I ebay'd a new top end and just got it back from the machine shop. The machinist said that the bores were "mint" and he checked the valves and machined the decks, so I think that I'm ready to go.

My question is which of the OEM rings goes on top? There are two of the same thickness, both stamped 'T' (which I assume means top) but one is all black and the other is black with silver on the outside edge. Is one top, the other bottom or does it matter?

Thanks,

Rob

"The Boy" holed a piston and "the Dad" is fixing it?
    What's up with that?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Top ring has the chrome surface, the middle ring has a dark (black) surface. The side rail rings that accompany the oil scraper can go either way. "T" goes to the top. It's all in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        "The Boy" holed a piston and "the Dad" is fixing it?
        What's up with that?
        LOL, only you..

Im sure "the boy" is helping and visa versa. I kinda enjoy working on stuff with my boy.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Well he just got back from a 7 month all expenses paid tour of Afghanistan courtesy of the United States Marine Corps, so I thought that I'd cut him some slack. If you think holing a piston is bad, you should see the pics of the two MRAP's he blew up...

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            Top ring has the chrome surface, the middle ring has a dark (black) surface. The side rail rings that accompany the oil scraper can go either way. "T" goes to the top. It's all in the manual.
            Thanks Don. Must a real Suzuki manual because the Clymer that I have is sparse on the subject. I'll go check out BassCliff's and see what he has.

I wish the boy were here to help. He's back at base in Cali. I was hoping to have "Emily" running as a surprise for Thanksgiving.

Thanks again,

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoRob View Post
              Thanks Don. Must a real Suzuki manual because the Clymer that I have is sparse on the subject. I'll go check out BassCliff's and see what he has.

I wish the boy were here to help. He's back at base in Cali. I was hoping to have "Emily" running as a surprise for Thanksgiving.

Thanks again,

Rob
              Rob is right. chrome ring is always top ring (less oiling) and be sure to check ring end gap.

Comment

If anyone needs the factory manual I have it hosted right here:

Comment

Shiny ring on top with dot facing up.
                  Dull ring second with dot facing up
                  Three oil rings/The two skinny on the outside and the wavy one on the middle and make sure the wavy one does not overlap at the ends.
                  All gaps should be offset from each other.
                  Set ring gap on the upper two. The spec will be in your manual.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X