1979 Suzuki GS750L Stuck Gear HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 Suzuki GS750L Stuck Gear HELP!

I was working on a 10-year-barned 1979 Suzuki GS750L and got the electric working on the thing and messed around with the gears to make sure the display was working right and then i turned off the battery charger and unscrewed the plugs to look in the cylinders to make sure they werent stuck. Somewhere in the confusion, I forgot to pop the gear back to nuetral. I slowely pushed down the kick start and watched the pistons come up. They looked great! Then... they got stuck.. this is when i realized the error of my ways. I am not experienced with this kind of Stuck gear problem and wanted to get some opinions before i fiddled with it and broke something. How do i get the gear unstuck?!

Originally posted by craywm View Post
    I was working on a 10-year-barned 1979 Suzuki GS750L and got the electric working on the thing and messed around with the gears to make sure the display was working right and then i turned off the battery charger and unscrewed the plugs to look in the cylinders to make sure they werent stuck. Somewhere in the confusion, I forgot to pop the gear back to nuetral. I slowely pushed down the kick start and watched the pistons come up. They looked great! Then... they got stuck.. this is when i realized the error of my ways. I am not experienced with this kind of Stuck gear problem and wanted to get some opinions before i fiddled with it and broke something. How do i get the gear unstuck?!
    You mean the kick starter lever is stuck? If you saw the pistons move, at least they weren't "stuck". Bad karma, stop worrying about digital gear display till you know the motor is happy! Try rotating crank backwards SLIGHTY, this might free the kickstarter.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You cant rotate the kick start lever backwards on this model. I saw the pistons come up and stop and not move. When i realized what i did wrong, i tried to go back to neutral and the gear wouldnt change. thats why i said stuck. I have done this before in neutral and it was fine! Gear shift worked 5 min bbefore i took the plugs out and pushed the kick start again. How do i get this unstuck?

Comment

Take the points cover off and turn the large nut counter-clockwise.

Daniel

Comment

Is the points cover the cover over the kick start?

Comment

its sounding like you might need someone with som experience to help you.

the points cover is on he rght side of the motor, end of the crankshaft, front bottom of the engine on the side.

Comment

Yes I dont know ANYTHING about this engine or transy. I generally do Honda scooters but my neighbor wants to get rid of this and I want to get it running before i let him know ill buy it. I can do carbs noo problemm but im just very unfamiliar with this engine. Ill see if i can identify the points cover. Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by craywm View Post
                Yes I dont know ANYTHING about this engine or transy. I generally do Honda scooters but my neighbor wants to get rid of this and I want to get it running before i let him know ill buy it. I can do carbs noo problemm but im just very unfamiliar with this engine. Ill see if i can identify the points cover. Thank you!!
                It is on the right side of the engine and says SUZUKI in big letters.
                Held on with 3 phillips head screws.

Daniel

Comment

Thank you! Ill give it a try and see if that will let me put it in neutral!

Thanks again!

Comment

Is there oil and gasket seal behind the pointing cover? The screws were easy to remove but the cover seems to be stuck!

Comment

Ps mine says dohc on it btw

Comment

Take a rubber mallet and give it a good wack on the side. It will come free but that gasket needs to break loose first.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Tap it with a rubber hammer and it will jump off.
                          Only a frivolous dust seal is behind it. As there is a HUGE opening on the bottom.

Daniel

Comment

Thanks! Got it off turned it and watched the piston go down. The bike was wanting to move since its in gear. Tried to change it back to neutral but it still wouldnt go. Any ideas?

Comment

Thanks all! Screwed around with it for a while and got it unstuck! Had to turn that bolt quite alot to find a spot of little pressure before the clutch would free up. Couldnt get it to hit 3rd or 1st then messed with it and got it working. Any chance that ill have to replace something? Also is there a transy oil resevoir to empty/replace on this model?

Comment

Working...
                              X