Which Clutch Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
    Steve is that for chain drive or shaft drive motors. I needed to drain the oil anyway as the motor has now done 400 miles since rebuild and want to get any debris out of the system before it can do any other damage.
    I have done it successfully on:
    GS 650L
    GS 850
    GS 850L
    GS 1000G
    GS 1100E
    ZN 1300

Yep, it works on Kawasaki Voyager 1300s, too. Note that most of them are shafties, but the 1100E is a chainer.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well I installed the new fibre clutch plates a couple of days ago and installed three standard new Suzuki springs and three EBC springs. The clutch lever has an increased feel to it, but not too excessive.

I then took the bike for a 300 km ride up the mountains, but it also included a lot of peak hour traffic riding to get there and back. The strange thing was that the four upper gears changed quite smoothly, but going back to 2nd from 3rd is a bit notchy. It was almost like it was a bit hard to get the transmission out of 2nd gear, like maybe the clutch plates were not completely separating. It was impossible to shift into neutral from 2nd or 1st while the bike was moving, but when the bike was stationary it shifted from 1st to neutral as easy as you like.

I noticed when i was inserting the new fibre plate tabs into the slots in the outer basket they were an extremely firm fit. In fact if the plates were not put in exactly square the plates would not go in. Maybe they are too tight in the basket slots and this is preventing them from having the movement they need to separate properly.

What do you think? Any thoughts out there?

It seems strange the upper gears (3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th) shift very smoothly, but the lower gears are much more notchy when changing.

Comment

Working...
      X