Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

valve clearance: what is it now ? 0.03-0.08 or 0.07-0.12 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve clearance: what is it now ? 0.03-0.08 or 0.07-0.12 ???

see picture of service manual of the GS1100, found on Basscliff's site...

confusing information, let me tell you...

can someone please finally set things straight ?

Metric and imperial

Comment

I understand the difference between mm and inches,
      but not the difference of a Clymer (saying valve clearance between 0.03 and 0.08 mm) and a service manual (saying between 0.07 and 0.12 mm)

Comment

Always used the imperial settings in the service manual. I don't use Clymer manuals. I have found them to be less then helpful in the past.

Comment

The clearances shown are for the 16-valve engines.

Yours is an 8-valve, so it remains at .03-.08 mm.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ah but really they're both 'right' in a way. Ideal is probably .6-.8 mm, where .3 is really pushing it, and .12 is loose on the loose end but works fine. I was told many times that if it's below .6 just go to the next size up and let it be loose for a while. Loose is fine, it's just noisier, but tight is bad bad bad.
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
              Ah but really they're both 'right' in a way. Ideal is probably .6-.8 mm, where .3 is really pushing it, and .12 is loose on the loose end but works fine. I was told many times that if it's below .6 just go to the next size up and let it be loose for a while. Loose is fine, it's just noisier, but tight is bad bad bad.
              WATCH YOUR NUMBERS, Allie.

Make sure you have a ZERO to the right of the decimal point. The specified clearance is .03 mm to .08 mm.

Gert's numbers are correct, but not for the model bike he is working on.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                WATCH YOUR NUMBERS, Allie.

Make sure you have a ZERO to the right of the decimal point. The specified clearance is .03 mm to .08 mm.

Gert's numbers are correct, but not for the model bike he is working on.

Hey they're just zeros, what do they amount to? I understand about the models, but my point is correct isn't it?
                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I shoot for .04 - .08. If you have a bunch of shims like me, it's pretty easy to find some in between sizes to get the clearance just right. Loose is better than tight, but within spec is better yet.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                  X