the pains of nooberty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the pains of nooberty

I just bought a very cheap 1980 gs850g off craigslist that doesn't run. It was kind of impulsive. It has low compression in two cylinders, but otherwise the guy selling it thought everything else seemed to be in good condition and he had put new brakes in. I was inclined to trust him - he ran a non-profit bike shop that fixed up donated bikes and sold them to raise money for missionary work and he trusted me enough to show me his garage full of nice bikes which also proved that he really did need to sell it to make room. He even invited me to his church and gave me a business card.

I have very little mechanical experience, but I'm usually pretty competent and resourceful when I get into something technical. I don't really have anyone to help guide me through these processes, just books, a computer and local bike shops. My thinking was that even if I didn't get the bike running, I would learn a lot and it was only $300 lost.

My first and most important question is: am I an idiot? Did I get over my head by parking this big bike in my garage that will eventually drive me insane and end up costing me more than I'll ever get for it? Should I just sell it now and find an easier project to start on? like a freaking tune up? Or is this kind of ambition a positive first step towards motorcycle literacy?

More about the bike:
    The PO hadn't bothered to test why the compression was low once he had decided to get rid of it. He explained how to do it to me, but I should have taken notes or something, because I can't remember the name of the device he said I needed.
    What is this device called and other potentially expensive tools might I be needing if I really got into this project?

I think those are the best questions I can pull from my wide sea of uncertainty. Thanks.

Originally posted by crapidriver View Post

What is this device called and other potentially expensive tools might I be needing if I really got into this project?
    Feeler gauge, $4 at any auto parts store.
    Do a valve adjustment.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and to answer your first question...no you aren't an idiot for getting this bike. My 550T is my first voyage into motorcycledom and although I have worked on cars before I have never done half of the things I did to this bike so far. You have come to the right place to learn everything to get it running and before you know it it will be purring down the highway and the rider (YOU) will have the largest grin known to man on your face. Basscliff, our official greeter will be along soon so read his information very carefully. Don't be afraid to ask questions and listen to what people tell you here...they know what they are talking about.

To start off with, I would get a manual for the bike (see his site) and then start with cleaning the carbs, checking valve clearances, replacing basic parts (spark plugs, oil, oil filter) and checking others (battery and charging system).

To answer the second question - he is referring to a compression tester that you can get cheap at harbor freight or any automotive store with the correct adapters (can't remember size right now). Your basic tools are really all else you'll need and going from there might want to get a set of feeler gauges.

Finally, use the search feature on this site in conjunction with Basscliff's pages and you'll be set. Good luck
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

honestly, its a solid first step toward being a competent motorcyclist and TRULY being one with your bike. until one has busted one's knuckles, and really spent some time working on their bike, one cannot bond with said machine. its like some unwritten code.

start off simple. feeler gauge to check your valve lash, clean the carburetors, a good oil change with some quality oil, just simple stuff to get to know your bike well and familiarize yourself with its workings.

as you learn more,and questions arise, which trust me, they will, be not afraid to come and ask. at one time, ALL of those of us who have intimate knowledge of the workings of motors began where you now stand, in some way. as long as you're unafraid to admit mistakes, or when you need help, you'll do just fine getting her sorted.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. crapidriver,

Your "mega-welcome" contains the necessary tasks to usher you into GS nirvana. You'll find links to copious amounts of information, knowledge, and experience. Feel free to dip your brain into all the GS850G lovin' on my website and here in these forums.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

GS850's routinely hit 100,000 miles with half way decent maintenance. Go to Basscliff's site and start reading. Adjust the valves, clean the carbs and replace the various O-rings, clean the tank, check the petcock, replace the spark plugs, and you have about a 90% chance of having a runner.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

to the "zoo".

Just in case you haven't noticed by now, nobody around here knows anything about your bike or your problems.

Most of us don't have a clue about what's going on, we just got real lucky with all the 850s sitting in our garages.

Yeah, just pull up a comfortable chair and start reading the stuff in your welcome package from BassCliff. That is pretty much a compilation of all the wisdom amassed by the owners of various bikes on this site. There is a LOT of stuff available by simply searching the forum, but feel free to ask questions, too. Most of us also respond to PMs.

Now, for your bike: start with valve adjustment and carb cleaning, as previously suggested. Follow that up with new spark plugs, check the plug wires and ALL the electrical connections from headlight to tail light. Simply hearing a diagnosis of "not starting" is not much, but usually a valve adjustment and carb cleaning will get it going. Not much necessary in the way of "special" tools besides your basic hand tools, except feeler gauges and a gallon-size can of carb cleaner DIP. Parts necessary should include an o-ring kit for the carbs and intake boots (available from cycleorings.com). When you check your valve clearances, you will find what shims you need to get (read my sig, send for the spreadsheet to help you figure out what you need).

Estimate just to get the bike going should be well under $100. Depending on what else is wrong with the bike, the total can easily go up, but get the engine going first. As an example, I started with an '81 850G and put about $900 into getting it going SAFELY. That included a new headlight assembly, new brake pads, rebuilt calipers and master cylinders, new tires, new (used) gas tank and side covers, rebuilding the exhaust system and replacing other miscellaneous bits and pieces. Still needed paint to look half-way decent, but it ran and handled GREAT. That bike was sold and replaced with the '80 that's in my sig. (click on the bikes to see pictures)

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome! You have just found the best possible resource in the world for your bike. The people here are unbelievably patient unlike other forums and the list goes on. I had like no knowledge of my bike but after researching everything here and learning form the folks i'd say i know my bike pretty darn well.
                NO your not an idiot, work on the bike and you wont be dissapointed in the outcome, infact when its all said and done, you will have the biggest grin your face can handle! you'll appreciate bikes for what they are truly. when i first got my GS it was pretty intimidating to look at i wondered how am i ever going to know what any of that stuff is! all the wires etc. over time you'll grow really close to your bike and understand it and before you'll be finishing it's sentences bass clif's website is compiled with advice from several of the members here check that out asap its got service manuals even.

Heres what i would do. as Tkent said do a valve adjustment first!, clean the carbs-take em apart completely dip em 24 hours over night in carb cleaner. get a new clutch cable, brake cables, spark plugs, coils, plug wires and caps, a new regulator/rectifier, go over all the electrical connections especially at the switches, check the charging system as it states in the stator papers, new tires and tubes, brake pads, fluids, oil, may need new clutch plates and springs, and you should be in good shape. first do the valve adjustment as tkent said, its something i didnt do right away and should have listened to the folks advice here. a lot of the parts aforementioned can be purchased gradually but its not really reccomended to use the P.O's parts probably cuz their all shot
                John 3:16

Comment

I might just ask if you trying to view a fast stream or can't drive very well?

cg

oh...Welcome!
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Welcome !!!

You've picked a nice bike to begin with, the 850 is generally regarded as the best all around bike of the GS's. You'll probably never get the return on your money after you get it fixed, but, that's not why we ride....is it ? You may, depending on the extent of repairs required. I could sell my GK and make a little money, but, no way with my 750L.

Follow the advise given above concerning the valve adjust, clean carbs, electrical, reading and searching, etc.....and you'll be riding safely in no time. Don't forget your riding gear !!!

And most importantly....we need some pictures !!!!!
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

We all start somewhere on the road of this sport.I've had new bikes and I've had old bikes.Loved them all,OK i didn't love the XS650 I had.You will be fine,there are more resources here than I ever had when I started 30 years ago.

Comment

Thank you so much for the encouragement and advice. With all this support now I think I have to dive into this project. You have calmed my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by crapidriver View Post
                          Thank you so much for the encouragement and advice. With all this support now I think I have to dive into this project. You have calmed my mind.
                          funny how you say that, Jesus does the same thing for me all the time in all scenarios of my life
                          John 3:16

Comment

follow-up

Ok, so I've replaced a couple of valve shims on the valves where the clearance was too high. I couldn't find feeler gauges small enough to tell me if any were too low. Can low valve clearance cause low compression? I realize I should probably get them where I know that they're within tolerance anyway, but right now I'm really fixated on the compression problem.
                            I didn't check the compression myself before switching the shims out, but now that I've done it I can only get a reading on one and it's below 50 psi. According to the PO only two cylinders had low readings. Am I using the tool wrong? I have the plugs out, the throttle open, and I am cranking the engine by hand. There is oil in the engine and I have not cleaned the carbs yet.
                            Also, I left the valve cover off for a few days and there appears to be some corrosion on the cams, though it mostly rubs off when I turn the engine. Is this bad? should I have been keeping the oiled or keeping the cover on? I had the bike in the garage under a tarp..
                            Sorry this is so many questions at once.

Comment

Low, or way too low valve clearance is directly related to compression, get that straightened out on all valves, and you'll probably get compression, unless problems from tight valves run for a long time have actually burned some valves. As far as protecting cam lobes, etc., from moisture affects, soak a rag in engine oil (squeeze the excess), and lay it over the exposed head.
                              sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                              '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                              '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                              '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                              '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                              '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                              '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                              '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                              '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                              '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Working...
                              X