cylinder head cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cylinder head cover

I dread taking my cylinder head cover off every time....
    After removing all 16 screws or 18 cant remember... I need to remove the side caps in order to take off the cylinder head cover.
    I freggin' bent and twisted an allen wrench trying to get my cap screws off.
    All the screws on the two left caps are stripped, and the caps on the right only got 1 screw taken from each. As I was trying to break one of the screws free a huge snap and spark came about...the wrench went flying across the garage.
    How do they get so tight? heat/cold? Now I had to pry my cover off with the caps still on, and I am stuck with a cover and caps with stripped screws.
    Any way avoid this? the screws for the side caps are a little unique I know, but, different screws?
    Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM.

To address the immediate problem, drill the screws off with a cobalt drill bit. If you're careful, you shouldn't ding up the caps.

For future reference, use a high-quality allen wrench if they're allen head screws -- the low-dollar tools don't fit right in smaller sizes and they strip and break.

If they're still phillips head screws, use an impact driver or JIS screwdriver (you can order a set of JIS screwdrivers from McMaster-Carr for not much dough) to remove them. Japanese (JIS) screws have a very slightly different profile than standard American phillips, which leads to lots of stripped screws and heartbreak. Remove them with the proper tools, then discard and replace.

You should also install new screws with a bit of LOW-STRENGTH thread locker. (This is usually purple, and can be a little hard to find.)

Red or blue thread lock are too strong. And if you install these screws dry, they can seize up, especially if they are stainless steel. Essentially, stainless will eventually weld itself to aluminum unless there's something like antiseize or thread locker in the way.

Although you haven't revealed which model you have, most 8 valve GS models use M5X12 flat head screws here.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I agree with everything Brian has said, if by some chance you have a GS650 then the process is completely different. It's an idea to put the model of your bike in your signature line so we know what model is specific to your questions.

Comment

Working...
      X