Oh damn... Engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh damn... Engine noise

Hey all, concerned because my bike has started making a noise similar to that which you'd hear when you put a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle but faster. It only happens when I'm moving and the engine is revving, if I let off
    The throttle or if it's just idling it doesn't
    Make the noise. Ideas?

Exhaust blowing?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Cronos View Post
      Hey all, concerned because my bike has started making a noise similar to that which you'd hear when you put a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle but faster. It only happens when I'm moving and the engine is revving, if I let off
      The throttle or if it's just idling it doesn't
      Make the noise. Ideas?
      Your bike misses New York and It's not use to running in December!
      Is the noise from the engine, or wheels, or what? Have someone drive next to you and let them listen to pinpoint it.
      I hate to ask, but have you ever looked at valves or cam chain tensioner?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Awhile back I checked the valve clearance but it's been some time since then. Exhaust isn't making any different noise and there isn't any smoke that I can tell. I must admit there was a day where the oil got low to the point of an idiot light coming on but I topped it up asap.

Comment

Awhile back I checked the valve clearance but it's been some time since then. Exhaust isn't making any different noise and there isn't any smoke that I can tell. I must admit there was a day where the oil got low to the point of an idiot light coming on but I topped it up asap.
          Hooray, you've checked valves! How about 90w oil in rear differential? You've put a lot of miles on in last 4 months.
          About two years ago (it seems like), I asked about mileage and bikes's history- info that might give us clues to future fun.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

where is this noise (terrible i would assume) comming from? the front or the back of the bike? under your foot? i have a feeling your chain/sprocket is getting really messsed up, put it on the centerstand go over the entire bike, check swingarm to wheel clearances, chain slack, brakes, check it all
            Originally posted by tkent02
            That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
            John 3:16

Comment

No swingarm and chain and sprocket issues as this is a shaft drive, I bought the bike in May from a friend of mine. He was just doing a fix and flip on it. The previous owner had it for a few years and it spend some time in a shed. When I had gotten the bike it had somewhere around 30,000 miles on it. While with Tom we did work on the gaskets, valves shims, synched the carbs etc. The noise sounds as though it's coming from the engine area itself which is what makes me nervous.

Comment

No swingarm and chain and sprocket issues as this is a shaft drive, I bought the bike in May from a friend of mine. He was just doing a fix and flip on it. The previous owner had it for a few years and it spend some time in a shed. When I had gotten the bike it had somewhere around 30,000 miles on it. While with Tom we did work on the gaskets, valves shims, synched the carbs etc. The noise sounds as though it's coming from the engine area itself which is what makes me nervous.
                did you do compression tests? take off the oil pan check for metal
                Originally posted by tkent02
                That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
                John 3:16

Comment

The previous owner had it for a few years and it spend some time in a shed. When I had gotten the bike it had somewhere around 30,000 miles on it. While with Tom we did work on the gaskets, valves shims, synched the carbs etc. The noise sounds as though it's coming from the engine area itself which is what makes me nervous.
                  Cronos, I think you should change your signature to reflect where you are now , since there are many members in southern Calif- with any luck, someone might be close by to lend advice.
                  Valves, synched carbs- fantastic! your charging system must be adequate as you're still running. Try to pinpoint noise- if it only happens when you're moving suspect the drivetrain - clutch, driveshaft, rear differential.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                  X