1983 750ES Clutch Noise on Cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 750ES Clutch Noise on Cold

I have never attempted or even more then wondered what it would take to even check out my clutch so go easy on me.

When motor is cold, gear in neutral, clutch handle untouched RPM below 1100.There is a rattling sound from the clutch area. Noise will go away if I engage the clutch handle or rev the engine over 1100 rpm or after the bike warms up.

Looking for suggestions besides the clutch gasket and oil what else I might need or what am I getting into?

Thanks
    Pat

Very common problem. Clutch basket springs sag and you get rattle. Tons of threads in the archives on this. You might want to try a search for more info.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yep definitely as Ed says. Some fairly easy/cheap fixes (one is free but who knows how long it will last!)

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thats funny how you bring this up, my bike JUST STARTED making this clutch rattling noise and i figured hey its the old GS' rattle... i added washers to my spring 1 each and eventually they must have gotten softer so i added 1 more to each, few weeks later my bike is sagging making awful noises again, i think its time i just buy some heavy duty springs
        John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
          thats funny how you bring this up, my bike JUST STARTED making this clutch rattling noise and i figured hey its the old GS' rattle... i added washers to my spring 1 each and eventually they must have gotten softer so i added 1 more to each, few weeks later my bike is sagging making awful noises again, i think its time i just buy some heavy duty springs
          Did you add washers without separating the backing plate? If so what is preventing the washers coming out when the motor is in motion? Normal practice is to separate the backing plate by grinding the rivet heads off, removing backing plate, inserting hardened steel washers and then have the backing plate replaced and welding the rivets back in place. This keeps the washers captive in the clutch area.

Where do you plan to get the heavier springs from?

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            Did you add washers without separating the backing plate? If so what is preventing the washers coming out when the motor is in motion? Normal practice is to separate the backing plate by grinding the rivet heads off, removing backing plate, inserting hardened steel washers and then have the backing plate replaced and welding the rivets back in place. This keeps the washers captive in the clutch area.

Where do you plan to get the heavier springs from?
            oaky so im gonna admit right now i may not know exactly what i was talking about, i was reffering to the individual clutch springs i think mine has about 7 where each one is secured by a bolt.. i plan on getting ebc or barnett clutch springs... is there another area where it uses springs? and what exactly is the backing plate? by the way while i was in there the other week i noticed the big nut that holds the entire basket down was moving all over the place with the lock tab being the only thing not letting it fall off. i torqued it pretty tight on and then applied the tab over the nut very secure...

Comment

You're talking about different springs. Ed is on about the ones in the backplate. If you pull the clutch out you'll see them.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yep... undo that big nut completely and pull the whole assembly out & you'll see them. That's what makes the noise (or your nut came loose again!)
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I installed a new one a couple of years ago, it rattled from day one....
                  Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

We'll get some EBC springs for cheap and swap out every other one - scuff up the plates some while we're in there.

Or you can get OEM replacements from Suzuki and do them all.

Don't forget the clutch cover gasket!

Easy job, and as usual cleaning the gasket surface takes the longest. We can do it in your garage in an hour or two, depending on how bad the gasket is.

Fire up that heater!

Comment

so there the same springs but there just behind the basket? cool im definitely gonna swap em out... i have fairly new NOS clutch plates from oldbikebarn.com i think there pretty awesome

Comment

Gabriel, here is a picture of the springs we are talking about.
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

In that pic you can just make out the springs that have been put on the end of each spring as spacer to put the tension back in. You can also see that the rivets have been welded up. When I did that fix it costs me $25 to get it Tig welded back shut again.

The free fix is to insert a screwdriver between the coils & lever the coils apart again to spread the springs... nobody knows how long that particular fix lasts (I did it on one of my bikes & have about 3,00 on it since with no noise).
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

guys when i downshift it takes it a split second longer now for the bike to drop into gear is this a tell tale sign of needing to get new springs for the back of the basket + the front 7 springs?

Comment

No....

Don you changed the pic... makes my post nonsense... oh well, no change there then
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                              X