Engine rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine rattle

Hi all,my gs850 had a horrible engine rattle so went to check/adjust the shims however they seemed fine, if anything quite tight. However decided to check the cam chain at the same time and noticed that the gap on the top of the chain from timing mark 2 to timing mark 3 was 19 rivets and manual said it should be 20. Could this have been causing the engine rattle? Cheers Wayne

Incorrect cam timing like that (just one tooth) will cause you to have very low power. Did you count the link at each end? I can vouch for the fact that it's easy to mis-count these, especially on the 850 with that little idler pulley. This will not cause a horrible rattle, unless the timing is off far enough for valves and pistons to collide.

When properly adjusted, the valves should sound like a sewing machine. Not all that loud, but a steady tapping sound.

Sometimes cam chain tensioners get sticky and allow the chain to slap around.

Can you describe the noise or post a recording?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I'm goin to put the engine back in the bike hopefully monday and try running it again, if noise still there Ill try to video it on my phone and post it.

Comment

When the carbs are not synchronized, you can get a pretty amazing rattle out of the clutch and primary gears. Kind of a loud chatter on mine.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Clutch rattle?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Low idle rattle

I have a 79 1000, and if it's adjusted to idle under 1100 rpm it rattles really bad. I saw someone mention if the carbs aren't synchronized it can rattle, could this be the case, and what idle should it be set at? Thanks!

Comment

Look at the service manual for your bike (found on Basscliff's site) but I've been told that 1100 - 1200 is about right for most of these things.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Look at the service manual for your bike (found on Basscliff's site) but I've been told that 1100 - 1200 is about right for most of these things.
                Actually, the smaller ones (like your 550) will have slightly higher idle speeds.

I think the twins idle around 12-1300, but the larger bikes call for 1050 +/-50, according to the manual.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, I didn't know where to look up the manual, as I don't have one. I'm used to cars where 1000+ is hi. Always love learning something new!

Comment

Originally posted by Swarley View Post
                    Thanks, I didn't know where to look up the manual, as I don't have one. I'm used to cars where 1000+ is hi. Always love learning something new!
                    Cars have a much larger rotating mass and flywheel effect that keeps them running smoother at lower idle speeds.

The number of cylinders can affect idle speed. You need higher speeds to have enough momentum to get the crank from one firing pulse to the next.
                    More cylinders means the firing pulses are closer together. Idle speed on my Wing is 650.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X