Question about gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about gaskets

I have an 81 GS 750 and im having trouble finding an engine gasket set. i really only need it for the engine cover gaskets (clutch, crankcase, etc.) as im not digging that deep into the engine. Would i be able to just use a gasket maker or should i hunt around a little harder?

Easy just go to your dealer or one of the many online vendors. Use the OEM gaskets. Check BaseCliff's website for the many dealers that give good service..

Comment

that would make sense. thus the reason i didnt think of it. i got a ba habit of overthinking things! lol thank u

Comment

It doesn't take very long to make them out of flat sheet gasket material either. Use a paper punch for the bolt holes, smear a thin line of bluing on the case cover gasket surface for your outline and cut it out.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. dburnzy728,

If I understand you correctly, you're needing the peripheral gaskets: stator cover, ignition cover, clutch cover, valve cover, breather, starter cover, etc, gaskets. Yes, I'd just order up a batch of OEM gaskets. But that's because I'm lazy. You'll find gasket making directions on my little website. I don't think I've given you the "mega-welcome". It's how I show GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks everyone for all your help. i actually found a complete engine set from athena gaskets. @ basscliff yes those are the gaskets i need and thank u for the mega-welcome. As this is the first bike i have ever owned and as such the first bike ive ever repaired/customized i have a feeling ill be on here quite frequently!! i have a good bit of work to do to the old girl over the winter but shes gunna look sweet when im done. after the build is complete ill post some pics.

Comment

Hi,

After those Athena gaskets fail and start to leak, replace them with the OEM gaskets.

BassCliff

Comment

Cometic has the lower end gaskets you need as a set. I THINK the 1100E gaskets are the same. I KNOW the clutch cover & oil pan gaskets are but unsure about the stator cover gasket. For head & base gaskets, Suzuki ONLY!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

After those Athena gaskets fail and start to leak, replace them with the OEM gaskets.

BassCliff
                  I see u r a big fan of aftermarket gaskets, eh? I'll def take that into consideration. The kits already ordered so I'll take my chances with that and see what Happens. Worst comes worst, as u said, I need to replace them.

Comment

I was unable to find a set listed on Cometic's web site for the 750. You might want to call them as I have found their web site lacking before.
                    I purchased a set of Cometic case rebuild gaskets from Babbittsonline for my 1100E and they appear to be of good quality. I would not hesitate to purchase them again. But I will never go anything but OEM above the case, ever since I blew 2 aftermarket valve cover gaskets out last year - one of them during the Fennimore Rally. The same may be true for the Athena; the case gaskets are O.K.
                    I'm not really sure what is going on here since I ran Vesrah gaskets for years on my 81 KZ750 and never had any problems.

Comment

I use mrcycles.com for Suzuki gaskets
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X