GS 550 L 1981 Push Rod seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550 L 1981 Push Rod seal replacement

Have leak where the clutch push rod passes thru seal to clutch.
    Can this seal be replaced from the ouside of the casing?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Jack

Yes Jack it can. You will need to remove the rear chain, the gearbox sprocket and the oil seal retainer (3 bolts). Drill two small holes in the seal opposite each other, insert two self tapper screws, grip these with pliers or vice grips and pull the old seal out. The new seal should tap in place without any problems. Keep us updated on your progress.

Comment

Don: Thanks for the feedback. I suspected seal could be rpelaced from the outside since I recently replaced the shifter seal from outside the casing. Seems I was wrong on what was really leaking till I started up the other day and saw the leak at the push rod /seal.

Jack

Comment

Jack it will be a bit more difficult to press the seal in as the pushrod is in the way to some degree. So oil the surface of the pushrod, slip the seal over it and push it in to line up with the cavity in the crankcase. The seal will not go in easily, it is an interference fit so requires some force to get it in place. So you will need a long piece of steel tube to fit over the pushrod length and be roughly the same diameter as the new seal. Or you could use a piece of metal the same shape as a standard bastard file and laying it longwise on each edge of the seal in turn, tap the seal into place.

If it is reluctant to go in, as rubber does not slide on aluminium that well then coat the outside circumference with something a bit more slippery, WD40, or even a bit of oil on the inside of the aluminium hole the seal is going into.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you go.

Comment

Don:

Thanks for the advice. I used the screws and vise grip idea and the seal came out with no problem.

The new seal was hard to get set so I cut a piece of 3/4 in PVC plastic pipe and fit the seal in with the pipe as a setting tool. I also oiled up the push rod for slip fit.

All went well.

FYI the bike sat for 9 years and was given to me. This past summner I was able to get it running and it is a pleasure to ride. I am looking for another GS 850 or 1100 if I can find one. These bikes and engines are well engineered.

Thanks again.

Jack

Comment

Well done Jack. Glad you got the job completed without any issues. No more oil leaks now. I have just finished increasing my 550 to 700cc as per my signature. As you say they are certainly well engineered.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              Well done Jack. Glad you got the job completed without any issues. No more oil leaks now. I have just finished increasing my 550 to 700cc as per my signature. As you say they are certainly well engineered.
              Hi Don,

your 550 to 700 conversion was via a 650 head?

What are the major issues with this? Did you have to replace the timing chain?

Comment

Working...
              X