New Chain and Sprockets.. BEAUTY!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Chain and Sprockets.. BEAUTY!!

So guys i got a brand new o-ring chain and brand new sprockets guys the old chain was crunching and even when it wasnt adjusted (lots of slack) when backing it up the chain would lock up from kinks and u literally had to get momemtum to back it up to kinda break through it loL!! the chain was a disaster no joke, i think i may have rode the chain longer than anyone else out there without it breaking, the chain should be kept as a memory, i had to cut it off btw... the sprocket was literally like a mitor saw blade because it was so sharp... quick question though on the master-link on the chain.. how reliable do u think the clip is to hold it in place? there were rubber o rings as well but this clip worries me.. i had a friend who's chain fell off going 135 mph i think he may have put it wrong but ended up hammering and "mushrooming" the pins on... u guys have no idea i waited for this for so long.. BEAUTY CHAIN AND SPROCKETS!!

Seriously guys it was no joke take a look

disaster chain and sprockets the chain was atrocious and the sprocket was razor sharp and look at some of the pics aside from it being razor sharp u can see the teeth sorta melted off to the sides... i thought it was dirt on teh sides but it was the actual teeth that warped like that

Alright guys now the AFTER : the BEAUTY OF IT ALL

Just brings tears to my eyes every time i look at it

thanks for looking guys i hope u guys can feel my excitement for this!!! btw the front sprocket wasnt that chewed up but i replaced it anyway
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Yes...new chains are nice.

The master link will be fine if you installed it correctly...I use them on all my bikes, including the drag bike.
    Other folks don't like them...

Replacing the front was the right thing to do...you should always replace them as a set.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

as Baatfam says, master clip links are perfectly safe as long as they are fitted correctly. There is a lot of guys on here who will argue but mostly the guys who have fitted it incorrectly resulting in failure.
      you will love how smooth the bike rides now with the new chain and sprockets!
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Wow! That was some serious wear on your previous sprocket.; looks more like a ninja weapon.

Mine are getting out of round and the adjuster is down to a couple nicks remaining; decided that was going to be a priority for replacement. I've had chains break, a couple times on dirt bikes, once on the street (although not at 135 mph!), and thats enough for me to want the peace of mind that a new chain brings.

Comment

Great looking job Gabriel. I should be able to get my new one in the next month or so.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

WOW!
            I have never seen a sprocket that bad that still could pull a chain!
            That one, is about twice as GONE as it should have gotten to before it was replaced.
            Again... WOW!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              love how smooth the bike rides now with the new chain and sprockets!
              You have no idea man the bike feels like it just came off the showroom floor of a dealership.. i mean the downshifting is instant, no more crunching noises on the highway every .5 seconds.. i commute 50+ miles everyday on the bike it is SO MUCH faster and smoother it feels like a shaftdrive and i've never even driven a shaftdrive. There is just NO hesitation AT ALL with anything... I feel like im riding posplayr's GS (never ridden it eaither)or something its just so damn nice...Guys the bike even SOUNDS MUCH different, no hesitation at all its just straight through GS roaring compared to it being handicapped before.. and guys good thing i ordered the clutch cable too look at my old one:

guys if you reading this and you havent bought a new clutch cable for your bike.. DO IT ASAP!!!!!!! all the lubing in the wolrd cannot compare!!! before i almost needed two hands to pull in the clutch.. IT IS SO SOFT NOW!!! it feels like my brothers 2010 sportbike hydraulic clutch..........

Comment

you HAVE to keep that old sprocket!!! What a trophy!

You can make a new game... draw a bullseye on a board and throw the sprocket at the board.

Comment

When I installed the master on my o-ring chain, I used a small set of vice grips to squeeze it together with the four o-rings in place. Make sure it is squished together properly and that the master clip goes the right way and it is fully in the little grooves on the pins.
                  I have done 100 mph+ for hours at a time on mine with no problems

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                    you HAVE to keep that old sprocket!!! What a trophy!

You can make a new game... draw a bullseye on a board and throw the sprocket at the board.
                    certainly... i will never ever let anything go this far again it was beyond dangerous...tkent and cowboy have warned me about the chain, they and i myself probably had no idea the extent of the problem lol! i'll probably power wash the old sprocket and hang it somewhere or maybe just leave the grease build up on it haha

Comment

Just how tight did you adjust that chain to keep it from spinning on the sprockets?
                      Was it like a guitar string?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        Just how tight did you adjust that chain to keep it from spinning on the sprockets?
                        Was it like a guitar string?

Daniel
                        funny because it was adjusted correctly but at a certain point in the revolution it would lock up because of the kinks and than once it went past this point it would become EXTREMELY loose, than again when it got to the point it would lock up... haha it was pretty much stretched to the max over and over again

Comment

Feelin' it

There is NOTHING like the feeling of installing new stuff, and having it be so effective. As you say, feels like a new bike, completely. BTW, I'm sure you did this, but 'the right way' to put the master link clip on is to have the 'closed' end of the clip facing the front of the bike, in the other direction, the chain will spit the clip as it goes around the countershaft sprocket-tight turn for the chain.
                          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Working...
                          X