What is this part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this part?

And just as importantly, what is it's purpose. I found 2 of them wedged in the top fins of the head. The parts drawing says there should be 18 of them. It is part #19 in the drawing. In case the attached link won't work, it is the head drawing of a 79 GS1000EN. The part is called out as a pad, rubber, 18 required.
    Thanks,
    Don

I believe those are designed to deaden engine noise, cylinder fins act like 'sound radiators', and the little rubbers 'cubes' help to mute that a bit.
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

That makes sense. Thanks for the prompt, courteous and informative reply.
      Don

Comment

does anyone know if you can use some other type of material other than buying OEM? I'm missing a ton of them.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I don't see why not, all it does is stop the fins from resonating, kina like putting your hand over a guitar string to quiet it.

Any block of rubber, slit it as required for the fins, knock in GENTLY with plastic mallet or similar and you should be good to go.

Personally I don't see how much difference they make, mine have been missing for years, unless you are building true to spec OEM collectors piece.

Comment

I bought a bunch of those silly little rubber blocks because I was trying to restore the bike to look OE but the replacement pieces are gray, not black. If you guys come up with a decent looking replacement material that's black, please let me know.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I read somewhere that they are to stop the wind(noise) from whistling through the fins. Don't know about that but seems plausible.
              http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
              1978 GS1000C
              1979 GS1000E
              1980 GS1000E
              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Thanks to everyone who pitched in to flesh this topic out. I won't be adding them to my bike. I'm not doing a period restoration so these didn't make the parts budget cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I bought a bunch of those silly little rubber blocks because I was trying to restore the bike to look OE but the replacement pieces are gray, not black. If you guys come up with a decent looking replacement material that's black, please let me know.

the little biscuit looking ones would need moulding but surely the flat pieces could be cut from some hard rubber stock.

I always thought the were a vibration damping device.

Comment

you really dont need them. you will notice no difference without them. so many people, including me! just bin them
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Oh, man, I'll disagree on the "you won't notice them".

At least, in my only experience with vs. without them which was on a 2-stroke Hodaka 250 resurrection I did. Without 'em, the fins rung so badly, it was like a million little hammers tapping on ringing metal. With 'em - no little hammers at all. In fact, with the rubber blocks out, you could tap the fins with the edge of a wrench and they would each and every fin riiiinnnnnngggggg like a tuning fork. But, once I put the blocks back in place (and there were 40 or 50 of 'em all around) that same tap would just produce a dull clack.

Admittedly, 2-strokes and 4-strokes may be completely different in their noises, but it sure made a believer outta me!

Just my two cents.

Kirk
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-25-2010, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kirkn View Post
                        Oh, man, I'll disagree on the "you won't notice them".

At least, in my only experience with vs. without them which was on a 2-stroke Hodaka 250 resurrection I did. Without 'em, the fins rung so badly, it was like a million little hammers tapping on ringing metal. With 'em - no little hammers at all.

Admittedly, 2-strokes and 4-strokes may be completely different in their noises, but it sure made a believer outta me!

Just my two cents.

Kirk
                        Many people suffer from hearing loss and would not notice hat is likely a high frequency sound

do it for the neighbourhood dogs if no one else.

Comment

Experiences with your Combat Wombat aside, tap the fins of a GS (gently!) and they don't ring.

So leave the little rubber biscuits out. They don't make a bit of difference. All they do is quickly shrivel up and fall out. Some can even wedge themselves somewhere else inconvenient, like right next to a spark plug.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

As Suzuki only made 2-strokes prior to 1976, they probably were used to installing them to eliminate some of the ringing sound associated with 2-strokes.
                            When did Suzuki STOP using them in the GS's?
                            Perhaps kirkn has a valid point, eh?

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                            X