1983 GS 650g Valve Cover Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS 650g Valve Cover Replacement

I need to replace my valve cover with a different one. I haven't been able to locate an 83 cover. Does anyone know or have swapped with an 82 valve cover? Basically, can I bolt on the 82 without issues?

I believe the cover change involved a change to the bolt pattern.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There are two different covers for the 650 but I dont know when or how.
      Maybe someone else will chime in on the specifics.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        I believe the cover change involved a change to the bolt pattern.
        Comparing with a cover on ebay there are extra screw holes on the 83. Looks like I am still out of action until one goes on Ebay. Thanks again Nessism.

Comment

Well looked at some more covers and checked gaskets, some covers look to have the same bolt pattern as the 83. Also, looking up the gasket, the same gasket is used for many years and models. Has anyone tried a different cover on the gs650 81-83? Specifically, has anyone used an 81 or 82 cover on an 83?

Comment

An '82 cover will fit on an '83 bike.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve has it right, no surprise. Sometime in 81, suzuki went with a 17 bolt valve cover. All 82 and 83 should use the 17 bolt pattern. Just look for the bolt hole on the front crankcase chain tunnel in the middle.

Comment

There is some confusion whether the change happened in '81 or '82. 1982 seems the more popular consensus around engine number 106933. But it's not important anyway. If you have the 17 bolt cylinder head then you have to use the 17 bolt cylinder head cover and gasket.

I have to ask what is wrong with the cover that you already have. Is it broken in some way?
                Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2010, 08:22 PM.

Comment

This is a repair job that was done, but it leaks.

Comment

Is that a weld job?

It might be possible to clean out the inside and spread a layer of JB Weld to seal it up.

Had to do that to my Wing valve cover after it got tipped over last spring.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mop Bucket View Post
                      Well looked at some more covers and checked gaskets, some covers look to have the same bolt pattern as the 83. Also, looking up the gasket, the same gasket is used for many years and models. Has anyone tried a different cover on the gs650 81-83? Specifically, has anyone used an 81 or 82 cover on an 83?

As others have pointed out, some cam cover change happened in 82 model year. So an 81 cover would fit some 82. Why don't you just have your existing cover repaired by a pro?
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Why not just buy another valve cover. I found one on Ebay for $25 from North Carolina. Link below.

>

Comment

There is a ebay parts guy here in Vegas. He had an 81 cover for $5. Bought it and installed it today. Looks like the cover fits pretty well on the newer engine. Will fire it up after I fix the other blunders of the PO and CO(Current Owner). Basically, when I found the weld job was leaking, I also found the drain plug and generator cover was leaking. Replacing the oil pan and gasket on generator cover hopefully soon.

Comment

Well done. I would double check the valve cover to make sure it does not leak around the mismatch at bolt hole No. 17 on startup.

Comment

Make sure you know which style you are getting first.

Some 82's actually have the 81 design!
                              (guess how I found this out......the hard way!)

The 82's have 1 extra bolt in the front-middle, and Im positive atleast 2 other bolt positions are altered slightly to the left, if you're standing in front of the bike.

Like I said though, the easiest way to tell which style you are getting, is to look and see if there's that extra bolt near the Front-Middle area of the valve cover, it's right near the middle-nose, slightly to the left, IF you're standing in front of the bike.

Just going by memory, could be a tad fogged.

Comment

Working...
                              X