Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

conversion inch pounds ...needed for Realgasket

Hi,

will have to install the Realgasket (valve adjustment, you know...) but the Tennessee guideliness are talking about 15 inch/pounds or something...

can someone tell me what it is converted to Newton meters ?

I'm talking about the orange cylinder head realgasket...
    Maybe add also the torque for the breather cover gasket in Nm now that you're at it ???

thanks

G

15 inch pounds equals 1.69477244 newton meters.

An easy way to do conversions is to simply type the conversion into Google. For this example I entered "15 inch pounds in newton meters"....

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

thanks, seems that Google indeed is almost as good as the GS forum...

I cannot measure that with the tool as the value is too small, how should I tackle this ? It is really way less than hand tight ?

Comment

Originally posted by gert du prez View Post
        thanks, seems that Google indeed is almost as good as the GS forum...

I cannot measure that with the tool as the value is too small, how should I tackle this ? It is really way less than hand tight ?
        It is not much more than hand tight. I bought one of these to torque the valve cover. Luckily I have a friend who owns a bicycle shop so I was able to get the torque wrench for a decent price.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by gert du prez View Post
          Since you will likely be doing an oil change about the same time, the correct torque is very easily acheived.

Simply put your 10mm socket on a 5-10cm extension (do not use the ratchet handle). Dip your finger in your fresh oil,
          use your oily fingers on the extension to tighten your valve cover bolts.

If you insist on doing this with dry fingers, I think the procedure is to spin the bolts in until they touch the valve cover,
          then turn an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn, so the gasket is just barely distorted under the pressure.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it is more like 8-10 ft lbs. Don't try with a torque wrench do it by hand

Comment

Why not just purchase one of these and be ACCURATE?
              (Inch pound clicker torque wrench)

Beam-type torque wrenches are highly inaccurate.
              You will have better luck by feel.
              Why risk breaking bolts, damaging parts and leaks?

Daniel

Comment

Over here we have ft/lbs and for smaller torques, inch/lbs. What is the term for one tenth of a newton? Maybe there is a torque wrench that measures smaller torques that way. Like .1Newton/meters. It would take 16.94 of those so maybe the wrench would be easier to use.
                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Pretty sure that this information is available in BassCliff's website.
                  Anyway, it really is pretty simple.
                  12 inches in a foot.
                  1 foot pound = 12 Inch pounds
                  7 foot pounds = 84 Inch pounds
                  Etc.

In this example, 84 Inch pounds and your wrench "clicks"

Hopefully, this is in Cliffs website:

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    I think it is more like 8-10 ft lbs. Don't try with a torque wrench do it by hand
                    The torque for a stock gasket is 6.5 ft-lbs.
                    The Real Gasket takes MUCH LESS, as Gert said, it's only 1.25 ft-lbs or 15 inch-pounds.
                    That seems ridiculously light, but that's all it takes for that particular gasket.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                      Pretty sure that this information is available in BassCliff's website.
                      Anyway, it really is pretty simple.
                      12 inches in a foot.
                      1 foot pound = 12 Inch pounds
                      7 foot pounds = 84 Inch pounds
                      Etc.
                      I think Gert was wanting to convert to metric. i.e. Newton/meters
                      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                      1983 GS 1100 G
                      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                        I think Gert was wanting to convert to metric. i.e. Newton/meters
                        Newton-decimeters?

Google conversion seems to like it....
                        15 (inch pounds force) = 16.9477244 newton decimeters
                        Last edited by Joe Nardy; 12-29-2010, 09:14 PM.
                        IBA# 24077
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Most "clicker" type torque wrenches have both scales on them (metric/ english):

I am sure that he could get one with newton meters on one side as well.
                          My 1" drive torque wrench does.

Daniel

Comment

Why not throw the realgasket in the trash and use a stock one.... Once you've either had some cover bolts come loose on you or had it on/off 3 or 4 times at which point it will stop sealing you'll be going back to stock like me...
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                            X