Clutch is draggin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch is draggin

First off, I am trying not to screw up my bike enough that I give up on this project. The clutch drags when in gear and clutch in. In fact, I didn't notice a difference in tire speed with the clutch in or out.

I was hoping it was because I used 10w40 energy conserving oil. Replaced with 15w40 diesel and ran it for 10 minutes. Did I bork up something with the oil I used? Read a few posts saying that it was bad to use the oil I did. The local dealership said to sand the clutch plates.

What would be my next steps in fixing the clutch problems?

Open it up and look? Look at what?

What do the GS guru's think?

Dragging... did you put it in the center stand with your hand on the front brake and pullin the clutch then put it into gear and the wheel started spinning? Mine does that, not sure of how to fix it.

Or does it simply want to move forward.

Comment

It's probably perfectly normal.

Unlike a car, a GS clutch is a wet clutch -- it runs in oil.

Therefore, the clutch will always have some drag, and this is magnified when the oil is cold.

It's perfectly normal for the back wheel to spin merrily when the bike is started on the centerstand and put into gear.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yes, it is on the center stand. I pull the clutch in, put it in gear and still have the clutch pulled it, the wheel starts turning. Like I said, the speed of the wheel looks to be the same with or without the clutch in.

Comment

If the rear wheel turns with the engine running in neutral, that's normal. If you can't get it into gear when you pull the clutch in with the engine running and the rear tire on the ground there can be several reasons for it. The bike hasn't warmed up enough so there's too much 'stiction, clutch cable not adjusted properly, actuating arm out of adjustment.....more people will chime in with more stuff, but when my oil is too cold my clutch won't release until the engine has warmed up for about 5 minutes while I work the clutch handle to get warm oil between the plates.

Comment

The bike works as expected in Neutral, no wheel spinning. Getting into and out of gear is not a problem. But once it is in gear the wheel spins. If I add throttle the wheel spins faster. The spinning seems to be the same with or without the clutch in.

I have read even more and will be opening it up with my manual handy. I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for what I should look for or watch out for. The watch out fors are sure getting me. Like when the manual says torque specs for 6,8,10 mm bolts it’s not talking about the head... DOH!

My concern is the PO didn't install required parts or didn't tighten bolts, etc. Like when I was taking the oil pan off I noticed the engine isn't bolted on the bottom.

Comment

does the bike jump forward if the rear wheel is on the ground and you pull the clutch in and put it in gear? its normal for the wheel to spin when off the ground, even in neutral
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

This is an easy one. Clutch dragging is often caused by warped steel plates or the clutch isn't engaging completley, it is out of adjustment. Rear wheel turning while on center stand IS normal, don't worry about that. You should be able to toe it into first gear and then back into neutral while holding in the clutch, sitting still while off the center stand. If you can do that then you are most likely ok. BUT..make sure it dis-engages too with no slippage. It should start to dis-engage with the clutch lever about 1/3 of the way out and not right off of the handle bar. Good luck .

Terry
                1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars View Post
                  This is an easy one. Clutch dragging is often caused by warped steel plates or the clutch isn't engaging completley, it is out of adjustment. Rear wheel turning while on center stand IS normal, don't worry about that. You should be able to toe it into first gear and then back into neutral while holding in the clutch, sitting still while off the center stand. If you can do that then you are most likely ok. BUT..make sure it dis-engages too with no slippage. It should start to dis-engage with the clutch lever about 1/3 of the way out and not right off of the handle bar. Good luck .

Terry
                  It should be fully disengaged with the clutch lever pulled fully back to the grip, and start to engage about 1/3 of the way out. when the clutch lever is out fully it should be engaged totally with no clutch slippage.

Comment

I haven't actually riden the bike yet. but, I am pretty sure it isn't normal for the wheel to get power with the clutch in. I would be happy but shocked if it didn't have a problem. So, I will take it for a spin next chance I get to see if I can do a burn out with the clutch in

Comment

Originally posted by Mop Bucket View Post
                      I haven't actually riden the bike yet. but, I am pretty sure it isn't normal for the wheel to get power with the clutch in. I would be happy but shocked if it didn't have a problem. So, I will take it for a spin next chance I get to see if I can do a burn out with the clutch in
                      It IS normal for the wheel to turn while it is on the centrestand with the clutch pulled in to the handgrip and disengaged.

Comment

will the engine stall if you stop the rear wheel (with the brake) and the clutch pulled in?

Comment

IT is normal to spin in gear with the clutch held in on the center stand.
                          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                            will the engine stall if you stop the rear wheel (with the brake) and the clutch pulled in?
                            Yeah, put a little drag on rear wheel ( like what you'd get with bike on ground), pull clutch in- bike in gear- does wheel still spin?
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Took the bike for its maiden voyage today. I was exited the bike actually ran! I did notice a little tugging but nothing big. After it turned into a non issue I totally forgot about it and enjoyed the short trip around my neighborhood.

After getting back and putting it back in the garage I remembered I needed to investigate your questions. No stalling issues. The wheel does not turn in neutral. If this is normal then ok, but it still bugs me. First vehicle or motorcycle that has done this to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X