ignition cover oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition cover oil

I have a little oil inside my ignition cover 1/8 tea spoon, maybe will this hurt anything?
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Could you explain more please? Do you mean where the ignition key goes? A picture would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
      I have a little oil inside my ignition cover 1/8 tea spoon, maybe will this hurt anything?
      You mean the cover on the side if the motor ... ? If thats it ..Will not hurt any thing persay ... A lot of oil can give problems... Clean it out run the bike around for a time and see if the oil comes back ... GS's can do that at times ..If it keeps up in will need a new outer crank seal ...

Need more info then a "one liner" on your post ...

Have a good day

David

Hazardous Toys inc
      Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Sounds like the seal is on its way out, is it points or electronic pick ups?
        If you are running points then, yes the oil can cause them to short out and bringing you to a halt on the side of the road, electronic pick ups don't care for oil, it wont stop.

But it is not right, do as the guys above have said, clean it out, assess the leak but you really want to replace the seal, it is a pretty quick and painless job on most bikes, what bike is it?

Edit: Ok scratch most of that, I see in your sig it is a GS1000 '80 model, oil won't bother it, it does not have points.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2011, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks

I was reviewing Basscliff valve adjustment Guide and ignition cover is what he called it, so I thought everybody would know. When I took the cover off (engine) a few drops of oil was sitting in there. I'm going to adjust the valves. Electronic ignition.
          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Like I said ... Have come across this over the years ... Was the oil 'old looking'... Clean it out ..Make a note to look at it in a few miles ..And go ride ....If it keeps leaking easy fix realy new seal time ...

Move on to your valve ajust and to the other things your bike needs ...

Comment

Easy to replace
              Drill and remove old seal with a screw
              Freeze new seal
              Loosen case bolts around seal
              With a large socket, washers and ignition bolt push in new seal.
              Make sure you put it in the right way
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Make sure you put it in the right way
                Which is what way?
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Which is what way?
                  There is an arrow on the seal pointing the direction it goes in.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

crank oil seal

Yes, I need to replace the seal thanks for the info Chef1366. There are drops of oil on the cardboard I put on the floor under it. In just a few days sitting, not running after I wiped it all clean.
                    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

The seal has free standing protrusions that face inward toward the bearing, the protrusions space the seal away from the rollers. Renobruce posted some photos a year or so ago about this subject.

Edit: check this thread... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=135241
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Make sure your crankcase vent hose at the valve cover is not kinked. If it is, crankcase pressure will cause oil leaks through perfectly good seals.....Billy

Comment

Old Brit Bike memories

Reminds me of my '69 Bonneville.

Comment

Working...
                          X