probably a silly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

probably a silly question

is there a way the check valve seal with the head off the motor? I'm asking if I bought a head on ebay and I want to check valve seal before I put it on the bike if possible.

Pour gasoline on the combustion side of the head and see if it leaks.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Believe me, take the head apart and check all the components, before you put it on the bike...the head gasket is pretty expensive, and more than the cost of new valve seals. Plus, you get to check the condition of the valves and valve guides with it apart......here's the procedure from Bikecliff's Website:

Similar procedures for most bikes.

Don't take shortcuts, it'll cost more in the end.

Comment

Sorry I ment the valves to see if I need to lap them I planed on replacing a valve seals.

Comment

Aahhh.....use chef's suggestion with some liquid, and glad to see you're covering your bases....

Comment

I would just grind them in and put new seals anyway, its a perfect time then you know its done and correct.
            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
            X