Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
    sounds like a damn sausage-fest in here

Might not be a good idea to mention using a piece of folded up 240 grit sandpaper at this point, I supose.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Jay, this forum is full of garage mechanics, and some pretty good ones at that. Lots of us rebuild engines at home where all that's needed is to break the glaze and install new rings. Most of the time these engines have blown a head gasket or similar as opposed to worn out cylinders in need of a bore job. We aren't hammering the cylinder with hundreds of hone strokes so that a ball hone will cause the cylinder to go out of round or anything; just enough to get a nice cross-hatch pattern and then we call it done. Given this type of need there is nothing wrong with a ball hone. They are superior to similarly prices 3 blade flat hones and have proven their value countless times.

I don't think anyone here would discourage someone from taking there cylinder to someone like you for a hone job, but I also don't think there is anything wrong with doing it at home either.
      Ed;
      You are correct. If there is now other way to break the glaze, they will work. It would be better than putting fresh rings in a used non-honed cylinder.

If you read my original response, I stated we wouldn't use one on a customers cylinder, not that they guy in his garage shouldn't.
      Speed Merchant
      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post

Might not be a good idea to mention using a piece of folded up 240 grit sandpaper at this point, I supose.
        LOL
        Now that's funny
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          LOL
          Now that's funny
          bill i figured you'd be along swinging your massive man meat during this sausage-fest

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            bill i figured you'd be along swinging your massive man meat during this sausage-fest
            That's a thread killer
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              No disrespect to Jay but I call BS on assertions that bottle brush hones are inappropriate. Cylinders wear with usage, that's why Suzuki lists a Service Limit for wear in the service manual. Further, cylinder wear does not occur uniformly down the cylinder, nor does it occur consistently around the cylinder front to back. Bottom line is there will be various low and high spots within a used cylinder, but the cylinder may still be within the service limit. Breaking the glaze in cylinders like this is critical since the rings will be somewhat challenged to seal in the first place considering the cylinder is not perfect.

Straight hones have more difficulty conforming to the small irregularities of worn cylinders than a ball hone. I suspect that's why ball hones were invented in the first place. Sure, you could hammer away at the cylinder with a straight hone and eventually you will cover all the surface area (low spots included), but you will also take out more metal than a ball hone would. I suspect this would be doubly the case if using a professional Sunnen hone machine which is very ridged with large flat stones. Hones like this will make the cylinder rounder and with less taper than a ball hone, but it will also increase the piston to wall clearance - possibly throwing it out of spec.

It's easy to say "if there is low spots it needs bored" but not everyone wants to spend the money on a bore job and new pistons ($500?) if their old parts are within the service limit. It's sort of like lapping the valves into the old seats; sure a valve job is the "proper" fix, but again, not every one has $160 laying around to pay for this.

Do what you want but in my view a ball hone is the proper tool for the job.
              Completely agree.

If the decision is to just fit new rings to pistons and cyls within size spec, ball hone is the best tool for the job for the reasons in the quote above.

In forty years in the engine reconditioning industry, i have bored and honed thousands of cylinders from every kind of engine. I have used every kind of machine and equipment there is for boring and honing.

The spring loaded stone type "glaze busters" are a waste of time for a number of reasons. In this application ball hones are the tool for the job.

Footy.

Comment

You guys got me to thinking, if all the garage guys are using these ball hones, I am going to put them up on our tool site. http://racetoolz.com/
                Speed Merchant
                http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Kris in Tehachapi and I use them on our bikes. They seat the rings nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
                    You guys got me to thinking, if all the garage guys are using these ball hones, I am going to put them up on our tool site. http://racetoolz.com/
                    Do I get a cut for starting this thread?

Comment

Working...
                    X