Engine removal technique with oil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine removal technique with oil.

I know how to remove an engine but do I have to drain the oil before doing so? Also if not is it safe to remove all oil connections to the cooler and temp gauge, etc without draining it?

I can't drain it as I JB Welded shut the bolt to the oilpan so I was able to ride it back home.

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
    I know how to remove an engine but do I have to drain the oil before doing so? Also if not is it safe to remove all oil connections to the cooler and temp gauge, etc without draining it?

I can't drain it as I JB Welded shut the bolt to the oilpan so I was able to ride it back home.

If you are removing the engine you would likely have the exhaust removed. If this si the case you could remove the oilpan itself.

Or you could take of the generator cover and lean it over carefully.

I assume you do not want to re-use the oil.

Comment

I know I could do that but I really dont want to deal with the mess and I'm gonna try to do it within the next hour while theres a break in the rain. I really dont care what happens to the engine, I'm probably just gonna lift it and push it out and let it lay in the street til I get around to taking it apart.

I just wanna make sure I don't have to worry about oil leaking everywhere by removing the hoses.

Comment

Blake, trust me on this, DRAIN the oil!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          Blake, trust me on this, DRAIN the oil!!! Ray.

Haha, surprisingly my bolt tightens and loosens the way its supposed to. Its all drained and all unhooked. Should I pull it or keep it in the frame til we swap it so its easier to move?

Comment

JB Weld is for girls!! Take cold chissel and chip it off there.. then get a "plus one" drain bolts from auto zone..do a search here for more details. drain the oil and pull the engine from the frame.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

JB Weld was a temp fix so I could get home after my near fatal or possibly fatal mishap on the highway when my plug broke off and vibrated out.

I'm not gonna do anything to it, engines trash.

Comment

Working...
              X