Clutch slippage-try new springs first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch slippage-try new springs first

This has been covered in another thread but can't find it now, so I just want to add a +1. The clutch would slip a little when the throttle was goosed after a downshift (40,000 miles on the bike, clutch never replaced). Rather than spend a bunch of money on new clutch disks, I spent $17 on new OEM clutch springs, 6 of them, and it fixed the problem. The old ones had spent their life constantly squeezed down, and had shrunk to a length of 1.50 inches, about 10 thousandths under minimum spec. The new ones are about 1.75 inches long, and not only is the slip eliminated, the clutch seems to be more sensitive/modulate better. No significant increase in lever resistance either. About the best $17 I've spent on the bike.

Hi,

Excellent report. Sometimes it is the simple stuff.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Great!
      Some have had good luck with spreading tired springs with a srewdriver or the like.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Spreading tired springs with a screwdriver is iffy at best. Face it, original clutch springs have suffered high heat and compression for 25+ years. It's just metal fatigue. Try bending a paper clip a few times and see what happens. In my opinion, it is best to pay $17 and be done with it. Check them again in another 10 years. Minimum length, 1.53 inches.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Grr! I knew I was forgetting to order something! Just ordered the orings and gaskets for my vm's yesterday.

Where does the jury stand on scuffing the plates while its apart? Worth it, or not?

Comment

I scuff them... then re-soak in oil. You can also use 50% EBC uprated springs along with 50% of the tired stock ones, that's a cheaper route as the EBC are about $8 a set & obviously you get to do 2 bikes with it. Little heavier pull than stock.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
            X