cylinder placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cylinder placement

Okay total newbie question. When sitting on my 79 gs1000 which cylinder is number 1? Also the exhaust valve is are the one closest to the front of the motor?

Thanks Krank

Sitting on the bike, left to right 1-2-3-4. Also, exhaust valves are toward FRONT tire. Ray.

Comment

Yep, any reference to left/right, front/back, up/down is made as if you are sitting on the bike, ready to ride.

Think it out a bit for the valves: the exhaust valve will be close to the exhaust pipe, the intake valve will be close to the carburetor.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve and Ray that is what i figured it was but I just wanted to make sure.

STeve, I assumed that but I have seen wierder stuff so I thought I had better check with someone..

Thanks Again.

Kranker

Comment

Far better to ask what might be thought of as a "silly" question than to make a mistake you will regret for a long time.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Far better to ask what might be thought of as a "silly" question than to make a mistake you will regret for a long time.

I dunno... might have ended up with a pretty cool backwards bike. Exhaust coming out from the center and carbs sticking out the front. That'd be unique, to be sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
              I dunno... might have ended up with a pretty cool backwards bike. Exhaust coming out from the center and carbs sticking out the front. That'd be unique, to be sure!
              Hi,

I have a friend who, when he raced his RD400, had modified it. Her turned the cylinders around so that the carbs were on the front and the exhaust was coming out of the back. It was a ram-air flow-through setup. He broke a lot of bones on that bike.

Of course, there were no valves to contend with.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X