No announcement yet.

Removal of swingarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you loosened the case bolts around it?

There are a few bolts that hold the upper and lower cases together in the vicinity of the secondary drive set. That helps a little bit, but be aware that the unit needs to slide straight out. It is a VERY tight fit and 20-25 mm deep, there is no room for "wiggling" it out. And, you need two screwdrivers (or thin wedges) to try to get it out straight.

I just did this on an 850, which is a little easier because there is just barely enough room to get the gear out. You may have to loosen some motor mounts and tip the engine forward to get the room you need.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

...reporting...

As Steve suggested, removed the 4 nearest case bolts and was able to pull (NOT wiggle) the driven gear straight out. There is no room left for wiggling as Steve mentioned, so the straighter the better. I tried the wiggling but it becomes clear really easy that this will not work...

Comment

Can I ask where you got your rubber boot from. I just pulled my engine out, and noticed my bike didnt have one. So i'm in need.
        Did you just get it from one of the online parts supplies (bikebandit).
        Cheers

Comment

Z1 entreprises, my only source from ordering parts

I mail them a word document attachment with all the part numbers (+ pictures) of the things I need, they make me a nice package and ship it.
          It takes 5 days or less from the US to Belgium (Europe)...

Comment

That rubber boot is available from Suzuki, as well...

Comment

Working...
            X