Valve spring retainers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve spring retainers

I was going through my parts and noticed that the 1978 head has aluminum retainers. and a different shaped piece for the bottom of the spring pocket. Is that normal or did someone replace them with something else.

Those are aftermarket

Comment

i am going to threadjack real quick... is there a "valve spring compressor" tool? my buddy is currently throwing his engine backtogether for the first time and he said he needs somethign to compress the springs..is this correct or is there no such thing/need for a tool?
      John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
        i am going to threadjack real quick... is there a "valve spring compressor" tool? my buddy is currently throwing his engine backtogether for the first time and he said he needs somethign to compress the springs..is this correct or is there no such thing/need for a tool?
        Are you talking GS or in general? There are valve spring compressors, but most work by grabbing the actual spring and compressing it. That doesn't work too well on these old GS engines because the springs are recessed in the head as installed. There is an official Suzuki tool, but it's easier and cheaper to just make your own with some wood or PVC pipe and a 6" C-clamp.

As happens so very often, there's a link off of BassCliff's BikeCliff site:

Comment

Here are a couple of valve spring compressors. The second one might actually work on a GS...

I own one of these - bought many moons ago when I rebuilt a Toyota SR22 motor:

This should work on a GS, but you can do it with a c-clamp and PVC:

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
            Are you talking GS or in general?
            sorry, its A 1978 GS1000, currently everythings apart and he says he believes he cant continue without this tool, its pretty neat to see everything (for me its the first time) i saw the small spring that goes inside the larger spring, than the stem which goes through the retainer and the two little half's of metal that go around the stem and tighten into the retainer.. pretty crazy stuff when you think about the engineer's who actually invented that motor, oh and i saw the shim's inside the buckets... how the hell do you get those shims out? theres a little slot on the side i guess u just pop em out with a flathead?

Comment

okay that video on bascliffs website just explained everything..

Comment

They really are amazing machines as refined over the last century or so. It was interesting to hear in a presentation at Kitty Hawk that the Wright bros first flights were so short because their home-built motor wasn't very good - the intake manifold would overheat quickly and the engine lost compression. How far we've come!

Whatever PVC I had on hand was very brittle and didn't work very well. I ended up cutting off about 1.5" of a shovel handle, drilling into it and removing a window for access to the retainers. Pic attached.

Comment

Look further at BassCliff's site for all you ever wanted to know about juggling shims. In short yes you just pop them out of the bucket with a screwdriver or knife, but you have to have clearance first. There's a special tool, or you can use zip ties to hold valves open to create the clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
                    okay that video on bascliffs website just explained everything..
                    Thank you.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Thank you.

No, Steve - THANK YOU

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                        No, Steve - THANK YOU
                        "
                        HAHAHAHAHAHA i was gonna say teh same thing minus the bowing down smiley

Comment

Well, I'd like to say "it was my pleasure".

No, really. I'd like to.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X