No valve clearance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No valve clearance?

Well , I decided I would check the valve clearances on my 80 GS-850. I was hoping to complete it and have it road-ready for next week but I ran into a problem.

I had some popping back thru the 1,2 exhaust so I decided to check them first. There is no measurable clearance on the #1 exhaust. The smallest feeler guage I have is .02mm and I cant get it to go in. Even on the intake it is tight. The intake has 2.75mm shim and the exhaust is 2.65. I tried swapping the thinner one to the exhaust and still it wont go.

I am thinking the only thing I can do is go buy the thinnest shim available, install it and get the reading from there ? I'm using the tie-wrap method to remove the shims. I dont have the tool so rotating the cam without the shim in place is out of the question.

Any ideas?

I've never seen a .02mm feeler -- are you sure you're not using an inch feeler? (.002")

Anyway, if that's not the problem, it is common to need to go down three or four shim sizes when you have a zero clearance situation.

I'd get a 2.55 shim and maybe a 2.50 shim and go from there.

Where are you -- is there a GS-er around with a shim collection?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yep , Its a .002 mm. The local dealer wont be open till Tuesday so I might see if I can have some machine shim-stock tommorow cut down to a 29.50 mm circle at work. I know it comes in 2.50 and 2.25 mm .

Comment

Originally posted by Furious D View Post
        Yep , Its a .002 mm. The local dealer wont be open till Tuesday so I might see if I can have some machine shim-stock tommorow cut down to a 29.50 mm circle at work. I know it comes in 2.50 and 2.25 mm .
        That sounds like an idea. Otherwise, JoeNardy probably has some extra shims lying around....

Comment

Here's a trick to see how thin you need the shim to be. Try to spin the shim in the bucket with your finger with the cam in the correct position. If it spins, there is at least some clearance, one size smaller should put you in the right range. For instance if it's .01mm clearance, .05 smaller would be .06, within limits. If you can't spin it there is zero or less clearance, two sizes smaller should put it in the range (.1mm maximum). It may take more than two sizes smaller, but if so the valve are likely to be burnt anyway.

You still have to check once the shims are changed, but it's just an easy way to help you guess correctly.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I went out and put the shims back in their original locations. I can spin both with my finger so there must be a little clearance , .01 mm or Less?

I might see if the guys in the machine shop can shave a few thousandths off them. I know we have the equipment to grind it but I'm not sure we have a jig to hold something that thin.

I hope the other 6 valves go a little smoother, This might take some time.

Thanks for all your help

Comment

I'd catalog all the sizes you have and need first then see if there are any swaps which would work. You're bound to have a variety of sizes and may only need to buy 2 or 3 shims. Do you have a metric micrometer or digital calipers? Invariably two or three of the shims won't have markings

Comment

Originally posted by Furious D View Post
                You're still saying .002 mm. Do you mean .02 mm? If it's .002 inches that would be about .05 mm
                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                  You're still saying .002 mm. Do you mean .02 mm? If it's .002 inches that would be about .05 mm

Now I see, Yep its .02mm. This particular feeler guage is metric only and goes down to .02 . My other ones are standard and metric and .04 is the smallest. Maybe I need some new glasses

Comment

Oy, I was just through all of this in the fall, what an extravaganza. I still owe pies to several GSers. Tkent gets one for that shim spinning tip too!
                    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Pumpkin ?
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Pumpkin ?
                        Humble!
                        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                        X