tires on gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tires on gs850

not sure if this goes here.. but what is the best or widest tire you can put on a 80 gs850?

Use the search function, you'll finds loads and loads of tire threads to make your own decisions,

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
      Use the search function, you'll finds loads and loads of tire threads to make your own decisions,
      Search function indeed. This is a common question.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Besides the search function, we need to know more about your bike.

The G model has different sizes than the L model.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

There is also a section called "Tires/Suspension/Brakes".

Please use the search function.

Most common sizes in use for the GS850G is 100/90-19 front, 130/90-17 rear. Do not go any wider on the rear. There is probably not room on the swingarm and it will adversely affect your handling due to pinching the wider tire on the narrower rim.

The "L" model uses a 16" rear tire.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2011, 11:37 PM.

Comment

I can understand "best", but why do you need "widest"?

Wider tires on narrow rims will not work well. You will be much better off to use the proper size tire.
            If you are going for the "look" of a wider tire, a shaft-driven bike is not the best place to start.

Also, one rider's definition of "best" will be different than another rider's because of different priorities.
            A touring rider values more miles and fewer tire changes a bit higher than ultimate cornering traction.
            A corner-chaser will put up with more-frequent tire changes to have the better traction.

So, which tire is really "best"?

I ride many bikes.
            Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

I wrote widest.. but meant best.. sorry for the confusion... thanks for the suggestion to use the search function.. i did that and found lots of great information.

Thanks everyone...

Comment

Originally posted by trinitysj View Post
                I wrote widest.. but meant best...
                Actually, you said them both.
                Originally posted by trinitysj View Post
                not sure if this goes here.. but what is the best or widest tire you can put on a 80 gs850?
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

There is also a section called "Tires/Suspension/Brakes".

Please use the search function.

Most common sizes in use for the GS850G is 100/90-19 front, 130/90-17 rear. Do not go any wider on the rear. There is probably not room on the swingarm and it will adversely affect your handling due to pinching the wider tire on the narrower rim.

The "L" model uses a 16" rear tire.

BassCliff
                  Correction: Later model year "L" models use a 16" rear tire. I know for a fact, the 1980 "L" model has a 17" rear tire.

Comment

i found the section on the tires... it was really helpful.. thanks sorry for the misleading question...

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                      Correction: Later model year "L" models use a 16" rear tire. I know for a fact, the 1980 "L" model has a 17" rear tire.
                      Yes, I should have qualified that statement, something like - "a lot of 'L' models use 16" rims". Thanks for the clarification.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by KMW
                        Hey all,
                        New to the forum. Just purchase a 1980 GS850L with factory 19" in front and 17" in rear. Sorry for the redundant questions. (((To clarify, 130/90-17 will OR will not work on this bike.?))) I'm concerned about it rubbing the shaft drive tube. I gotta buy ASAP so I can start riding this beast. :-) The ones on it are really cracked.. :-(

Thanx ya'll.!!
                        A 130/90/17 will fit in the space but will probably be too wide to fit your rim properly. Welcome to the forum, the search function as said earlier does work. Introduce yourself in the GSowner's thread, start your own I need help thread to get assistance with your bike, it works better.

Comment

BOYCOTT AVON !!!
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                          X