Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where is this oil coming from?(pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where is this oil coming from?(pictures)

ok so here where im pionting seems to be an oil leak. im not sure if its coming from stator cover seal(does the stator even run in oil?)or would this be the cylinder base gasket leaking? or a barrel gasket whatever that is. anyway bike is 80 GS850 showing almost 44K. its not pouring out but as im riding i can see it leaking. its enough it drips on my boots.do i need to re tourque head bolts or do i have a seal compromised? thanks guys

id try retourqueing the bolts back down first

Comment

Most likely a base gasket leak. We can't tell you for sure, it's your job to figure it out.

One good trick to find leaks is to clean the area really well, spray it down with foot spray powder, and then start up the engine and watch the area closely.

Torquing bolts won't get it done once you have a leak. Time to pull the top end and replace all the gaskets...and valve stem seals...and rings.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

yea thats what i was afraid of. im pretty sure its the base gasket.

Comment

I'm doing mine right now. Expensive but not too tough
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Make sure it's not running down from the cam cover or some other stupid thing first.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

well i decided to rebuild top end all way down to the base gasket that was leaking. started last wk. got everything apart ready to clean and check. holy cow parts are expensive!!

Comment

Don't forget to seal the cam chain adjuster. It might have been the leak in the first place.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  Don't forget to seal the cam chain adjuster. It might have been the leak in the first place.

Daniel
                  i rebuilt it per basscliff site last summer

Comment

This is a picture of the old foot powder technique in action:

I would also like to take this opportunity to point out that this is exactly how much Vesrah gaskets suck.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi,

I've got the same pesky little leak. I'm hoping to refresh the top end sometime this winter during a long rainy spell.

You can't fix it from the outside. I've tried just about everything. I've added a little more torque to the bolts.

I've tried the gooey RTV-type stuff...

I've tried marine epoxy...

And even tried the "spray-a-gasket" on top of it all...

But nothing has been able to seal up the leak from the outside. So until I fix it right I use a shop towel or "Pig Pad" and stick it between the fins to soak up the leak for a while.

I have to change Jessie's diaper once a week or so, but it keeps the oil off my boot. My bike is running so well, I hate to tear into it. But I figure when I'm done it's only going to run better, plus there will be no leaks.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

found out today i may have a cracked cylinder sleeve. thought it was just deposits until i cleaned it up takin it to a shop to have it checked. it showed good compression on all 4 before i tore into it. any body have a cylinder set for sale? 80 GS850

Comment

ok so sleeve not cracked apparently its a watermark from where it sat at some point. machine shop says it needs to be bored .05 would be ok. problem is that requires $500 dollars worth of new pistons and rings other option is try to find a good used cylinder set on ebay and take a gamble. any ideas would be great thanks

Comment

Whassamatter with leaving the watermark in there? I mean, how big of a mark is it? Is it really 0.025" deep, or is 0.05 over just the nest size piston? You already know compression is good, and it's going to use a little oil anyway. I'm not sure you need to worry about it.

If you really need new cylinders, I'm sure someone around here has a set. Start a new thread in the parts wanted section.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

i don t think it will hurt anything at all. i found a OEM head gasket on ebay but it says its for 82-83 850 different part number too ant chance it will work on my 80 model?

Comment

Working...
                              X