wont turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wont turn over

I have a 81 gs 750 that has sat in storage for 3 years. I put a new battery in, fresh oil, and fresh gas in along with new plugs. Every time i try to start it it sounds like it wants to go but cant quite turn over. Its back fired twice and sounded like it was going for a minute but it just cant get over that hump. Any ideas?

Is that all you've done ? How about cleaning/dipping the carbs or a valve adjustment or electrical checks ?

There's more work to do to get it running and riding properly.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Hi,

Have you addressed ALL of the issues on the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome"?

It all starts with properly clean carbs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Rossi17 View Post
        I have a 81 gs 750 that has sat in storage for 3 years. I put a new battery in, fresh oil, and fresh gas in along with new plugs. Every time i try to start it it sounds like it wants to go but cant quite turn over. Its back fired twice and sounded like it was going for a minute but it just cant get over that hump. Any ideas?
        If ya get tired of fooling with it, and you're local to me I might take it off your hands for a reasonable price.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Obviously, it's "turning over". When you push the start button and it goes"whirr,whirr, grunt, grunt, POP!!!!, whirr", it's turning over. You've got enough juice to make it turn, you'll need to keep your battery up on a trickle charger (2 amp) so it's over 12.5 volts while you're attempting to start it.
          Check your airbox, make sure there are no critters in it, CLEAN your carbs completely, if you haven't done so already (see BassCliff's welcome guide), check your valve shim clearances, spark plugs, coil wiring, make sure spark plug cables are attached to the proper plugs.......then maybe you'll have some success with starting it. Oh yeah, if carbs were empty, use PRIme to fill them (no more than a minute on prime), then switch to run. Pull the choke all the way out, DON'T turn the throttle, and try it again.

Comment

If that things been sitting for 3 years, I can guarantee the carbs are so clogged, it won't start.

Make sure you drained the float bowls of the old gas!
            It don't matter how much fresh gas you keep putting in the tank, if those float bowls have OLD GAS.....she ain't gonna fire up.

If the bowls were empty, set it to prime for a minute and try....then move it back to Normal.

It doesn't take long for these bikes to have a "no start" condition.
            I've had gas clog or go bad in 2 weeks to 1 month.

Comment

Working...
            X