Head Gasket, need a new one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Gasket, need a new one?

I checked the valve clearances on my 83 GS650G a few months ago and have 60ish miles on it. When I put the cover back on one of the screws would tighten down. I was in noob denial at the time and ratinalized that one loose is ok. But... it is leaking oil.

My question is this, do I need to purchase a new gasket or will the one on there be fine to reuse? Like I said, it has only been on there 60ish miles.

I would consider getting a new one just to be safe but it's up to you really.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

That gasket is fine. Just fix the threads and reuse the gasket.

BTW, that's a valve cover gasket, not head gasket.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks, I will try to reuse the current one after fixing the threads. I might be riding it to my new home across state lines and wanted to make sure it was fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mop Bucket View Post
          I checked the valve clearances on my 83 GS650G a few months ago and have 60ish miles on it. When I put the cover back on one of the screws would tighten down. I was in noob denial at the time and ratinalized that one loose is ok. But... it is leaking oil.

My question is this, do I need to purchase a new gasket or will the one on there be fine to reuse? Like I said, it has only been on there 60ish miles.
          Is it safe to say that it is leaking near the loose screw? How much of a leak, a gusher, stream, drip, or seepage? I ask since my 81 650 weeps oil at front corners with new gaskets and half moons installed. If it leaks a lot, you may want to consider "unconventional" fixes such as using a gasket sealer on gasket.

Please do not use excess amounts of sealer, wipe on a very thin layer and do not use silicone. Get a decent sealer like yamabond. Typically, it will be ruined at valve clearance checks and have to be removed to get a good seal the next time.

Usually a gasket can be used dry without a leak. Whlie most of us frown severely on the use of gasket sealers, sometimes it is the only way to stop a leak.

Comment

I would say a little seepage from the corner next to the loose screw. When I look at the joint where the cover and gasket connect it looks almost loose or not a tight fit like the other areas where the screws are tight.

Comment

I couldn't stop the leaks with the Vesrah valve cover gasket (cardboard/fiber) and I didn't want to use mega sealant like what had been on the last one. I put on a RealGasket and it hasn't leaked since, even through several valve shim replacements. I turned the half moons flat side in so the flange area was inside, smeared a thin coating of orange silicone gasket sealer on them and they don't leak either.

Comment

I would say a little seepage from the corner next to the loose screw. When I look at the joint where the cover and gasket connect it looks almost loose or not a tight fit like the other areas where the screws are tight.

Comment

Tapped and inserted a coil to fix the screw. That was easier than I thought it would be. But the screw was on the out side and all the metal chucks dropped out the bottom of the screw hole.

What is the best way to tap and coil a hole that's bottom isn't open? How would I get the filings out?

Comment

Grease the drill bit, insert it into the drilled hole and pull the filings out. When you tap it, grease your tap and it'll draw the filings out with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X