clutch slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch slip

Oki have a gs550mz katana and when i fire the bike up and go to drive it the clutch slips pretty bad but after about 20 mins of driving carefully the clutch grabs good and i can ride it normal without babying the clutch.So what the hell is going on i have freeplay in the cable and i blasted the metal plates and the fiber ones are in spec.Soim at a loss here trying to figure out whats going on can anyone help?

Did the bike sit for a long time?

Did you scuff up the fiber plates with sandpaper?

Springs within spec?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Did you replace the clutch springs ? What kind of oil are you using

Comment

spring are in spec the bike did sit but i did a poor mans resto on it i blasted the metal plates and no i didnt scuff the fiber plate should i have? also i work for a vintage graphics company and my boss has quite a few old bike and he said that i shouldnt have put synthetic oil in my bike as the old ones werent made to run with it is he right?

Comment

Clutch cables actually stretches a bit when it gets hot. Does the cable go behind the engine and pick up all that heat? If so I'd say it's an adjustment problem.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

ya thats what my boss said so he played with it and it got worse

Comment

Originally posted by suzukibandit View Post
              my boss has quite a few old bike and he said that i shouldnt have put synthetic oil in my bike as the old ones werent made to run with it is he right?
              No, he's not

Oil doesn't care how old your bike is - it's still lubricates. Rotella synthetic is used by many members here

It does sound like a routing issue. Get a service manual and confirm the clutch cable is routed correctly. Check Cliff's site
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

worm gear needs adjusted.
                does this model have a lever on the clutch cover where the cable attaches?
                if not it has a worm gear on the sprocket cover behind a small inspection plate.
                run in lightly/bottom out/back off 1 to 1-1/2 turns/jam nut down.
                readjust handlebar lever.

Comment

If you work on the worm drive, I suggest cleaning it first. Take the shifter off, remove the sprocket cover, remove the worm drive. Take it apart, clean all the junk out of it, regrease the worm gear, and reassemble. They tend to get clogged with junk over time and become problematic.

Comment

Which synthetic oil did you use? Someone mentioned rotella, but I don't think it was you.

Comment

I vote that its the synthetic oil.

1978 GS1000C
                      1979 GS1000E
                      1980 GS1000E
                      2004 Roadstar

Comment

So long as the oil was not labeled "energy conserving" or something it should be okay.
                        I vote cable/worm/rack n pinion (if it has one).

Comment

That's why I asked which synthetic he used.

Comment

i used mobile one 20-50 and ive played with the cable oiled it and it still slips soim going to look at the clutch plates next

Comment

Mobile One Motorcycle, or just Mobile One?

Comment

Working...
                              X