Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator Rotor Removal?

I have a 1978 GS750E(C?)

I am putting a new to me engine in my bike but it doesn't have an alternator rotor on it, can I remove the one from my original and put it on the new one myself?

It appears to be press fit and the manual calls for "special" tools/procedures or whatever. How special are we talking?

When it comes to fitting it back on is it just a matter of very carefully tightening down the bolt that goes through the center of it?

I'm not even sure this is what the "alternator rotor" is, it's just my best guess seeing as its covered by the "alternator cover"?

THIS:

to this:

I'm not even sure this is what the "alternator rotor" is, it's just my best guess seeing as its covered by what the manual appears to call the "alternator cover".

Sorry about the initial lack of information, its been a long week and I need to get this thing operational as soon as I can because I don't have a car and do have some light travelling to do in the near future...
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2011, 02:30 PM.

mystery bike i take.
    you need to post WAY MORE INFORMATION GRASSHOPPA.

Comment

updated, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanGreene View Post
        updated, sorry
        In your case the special puller is just a bolt that goes through the middle. Your swing arm bolt might just be the right size. On the 16V engines I use red lock tite on the tapered surface but other's will say leave it dry. At least clean it well as well as the rotor and torque it to spec. It might be difficult unless the chain is attached to the rear wheel. Else use a compressed air tool.

I just saw you can use a cresent on the flat sides of your hub while you tighten it.

Comment

when you remove the center bolt there should be threads in the rotor.
          find a bolt to thread into the rotor(swing arm pivot bolt maybe or axel) and push the rotor off.
          clean the taper on your crank and rotor and install a little red loctite on the taper.
          impact really tight.
          i'm sure there will be somebody come along and mention torqing this bolt...
          BLA...just impacted really tight is fine.

Comment

damnit jim!

Comment

Ah thanks a ton!! I feel like I should have noticed the threads in there... Either way the swing arm bolt fit and my swing arm is being held in place by a conspicuously conveniently sized wooden dowel(both length and width) as I utilize the bolt...

I just pull on it until it comes off now, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanGreene View Post
                Ah thanks a ton!! I feel like I should have noticed the threads in there... Either way the swing arm bolt fit and my swing arm is being held in place by a conspicuously conveniently sized wooden dowel(both length and width) as I utilize the bolt...

I just pull on it until it comes off now, correct?
                yep, tighten the bolt till the rotor pops off..................

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  damnit jim!
                  beat you just by a hair; same time stamp.

Now there are some other threads where nobody reads nothing and you get the same answer 25 times.

At least getting 15 different answers is more entertaining

Comment

Seems the swing arm bolt doesnt have a long enough thread to get all the way in there, so I guess I'll just go buy a long bolt of the same thread?...

Either way I'm sure I can figure it out from here, thanks a ton guys.

Comment

put a spacer or socket in the hole to make up the difference.

Comment

And make sure the rotor has the right number of poles for the stator that you are using.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I stuck a 3" 1/4 drive socket extension in the hole..

It worked..

Comment

Working...
                          X