Mechanical advancer retrofit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical advancer retrofit.

It looks like the one sure & reasonable cost solution to my ignition issue on the 83 550 is a Dyna "S" system. Now in order for that to work, it requires a mechanical advancer mechanism. The 83/550 did not come with one as the advance curve was handled by the igniter.

It turns out I have an advancer on my spare 82/750 engine. So this weekend it looks like I'll be attempting to see if this retrofit is doable. I read lots in the archives mentioning its been done a few times but no specifics. One thing I did note is that it rquires a 16valve advancer....so far so good. I know also that with an advancer in place the pickup coil plate sticks out far enough that the cover no longer fits but I assume a spacer can be fabbed and I'm confident I can bodge one up.

Before I do dive in to it does anyone have actual experience and/or can provide any tips, tricks or guidance ?

As always I appreciate any assistance.

cheers,
    Spyug

The advancer can be retrofit onto a later 850, but that's because the bike was sold both ways. Please take some photos if you manage to get this to work on that 550, it will be quite a feat.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

ok the 83-86 550 has a small diameter ignition plate.
      dyna does not offer a dynaS to fit this model.
      am i missing something here

Comment

and your 750 mechanical advance unit will work fine is you can get everything else to fit properly.

Comment

There is a thread in the archives wherein I read one of the guys had done it but it was said to be a bear as he used an advancer from a 8 valve bike whereas a 16 valve unit would have fitted easier. I didn't book mark it but I believe the writer was LeeGS. As I recall his bike was red and white and the build was well written up a year or so back.

Now I don't know anything about the Dyna S units (never even seen one up close & personal) other than its recommended several times on this site and elsewhere.

Maybe I missunderstood what I was reading but I was sure it had been done. Not wanting to pooch things worse I thought I'd get the "expert's" thoughts first.

I appreciate it.
          Cheers,
          spyug

Comment

a dyna S or a factory pre- 83 mechanical advance trigger will work if the pickups are installed and timed on a smaller trigger plater(or if the larger plate can me made into a smaller diameter).
            also the factory ignition cover will not fit anymore unless a spacer is made and added.
            not impossible but far far from a bolt on.
            dyna does not offer a dynaS for the 83-86 550's.
            never have.

Comment

Thanks BB, that's as I understood it.

dyna does not offer a dynaS for the 83-86 550's
              Yes thanks I know that as the 83-86/550s didn't come with the advancer and the Dyna "S" will only work with it.

I also know there is going to be an issue with clearance re the cover and possibly between the pick-up plate and the advancer mechanism. I believe I can handle those issues.

Anyway bottom line is, so far it looks doable.

Cheers,
              Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                Thanks BB, that's as I understood it.

Yes thanks I know that as the 83-86/550s didn't come with the advancer and the Dyna "S" will only work with it.

I also know there is going to be an issue with clearance re the cover and possibly between the pick-up plate and the advancer mechanism. I believe I can handle those issues.

Anyway bottom line is, so far it looks doable.

Cheers,
                Spyug

maybe i'm the one not understanding.
                it is not the advancer issue that is the problem.
                the dynaS plate is way to large to install in your engine case.
                are we on the same page?

Comment

the dynaS plate is way to large to install in your engine case
                  I understand it is larger but in what way.....diameter of the coil "plate" or height of the plate and pickups or height of the magnetic rotor or both?

The stock pick-up plate is 77mm in diameter and there is not a lot of clearance to the walls of the case, maybe another 3 or 4mm on each side.

I believe I had, at one point, seen a pic of this type of installation and the "plate" was mounted such that it stood outside of the case or at lease above the surface of the case.

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the device as I will be able to measure things tomorrow and get a better idea of what I'm up against.
                  I don't want to purchase this if its really not going to fit.

I appreciate your interest and assistance.

Spyug

Comment

just a tick under 93mm.

Comment

Working...
                    X