1982 gs1100gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs1100gl

I think it's a GL - it's got a crook in the seat. Not flat.

A friend bought this bike about the same time as I bought my '82 GS850G, about a year and a half ago.

It was running fine and is very clean and straight but suddenly developed a timing chain tensioner rattle and my friend parked it. He's apparently decided it's too much of a problem to deal with so he's selling the bike for $1000. I can't remember what he paid.

Since I paid $1600 for my GS850G with 17K miles I'm thinking his bike is worth just as much or more. I'm thinking of buying his bike, having the timing chain rattle fixed and then sell it for some profit. I'm wondering how expensive it will be to tend to this timing chain problem. Without knowing just what the problem is I know it's hard to say, but the engine runs fine - just has this bad rattle. I don't want to get into it myself since I have too many things going on just now and don't want to take it on, so I would take it to someone I know that does good work.

Since the head probably has to come off, might as well do the valves too. How much money/time-per-hour is this job going to run, ballpark?

Is this an idea worth pursuing - will I make enough to justify running this bike around to the shop, DMV hassles, etc.?

And on another note, what does anyone think this timing chain tensioner rattle might be and what caused it? I've never had it happen on either my old GS850G (70K+ miles) or my new one. It's pretty much the same motor I think.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

There's a link on my website to bwringer's site. On his site you will find a guide to cleaning and servicing the cam chain tensioner. On my site, in the Engine Odds and Ends page, you'll find procedures for resetting the tensioner. It's a cheap and fairly easy procedure. If you pay a shop for all that extra work you may not have a sellable motorcycle left, much less any profit.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Could be you just have to release the set screw on the tensioner. This causes a rattle if they didn't release it last time it was installed. I got a free bike the other day, the external spring was wound backwards, same cam chain rattle. It's usually something simple. Put that 1100 engine in your 850.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        It's usually something simple. Put that 1100 engine in your 850.

Daniel

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll follow up on these things - except changing out the engine

His bike is really nice as-is and would be a shame to mess it up - although I must say it's not much use in its current condition. Also, I'm lazy (and busy with other things). That sounds like a lot of work.

I've TOLD him the cam chain tensioner should be an easy fix but it's been several months now and he apparently hasn't had any luck with the easy fixes. I see him very seldom - just every now and then at the airport. Someone we both know just told me yesterday the fellow is selling the bike for $1000 as he still has a problem with the rattle.

Maybe he tried driving the bike with the rattle as it is, hoping it would work itself out or go away . . . and in doing so did more damage. That's possible.

If anybody lives near San Diego that wants to fool with this I can put you in touch.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
            Thanks guys. I'll follow up on these things - except changing out the engine

His bike is really nice as-is and would be a shame to mess it up - although I must say it's not much use in its current condition. Also, I'm lazy (and busy with other things). That sounds like a lot of work.

I've TOLD him the cam chain tensioner should be an easy fix but it's been several months now and he apparently hasn't had any luck with the easy fixes. I see him very seldom - just every now and then at the airport. Someone we both know just told me yesterday the fellow is selling the bike for $1000 as he still has a problem with the rattle.

Maybe he tried driving the bike with the rattle as it is, hoping it would work itself out or go away . . . and in doing so did more damage. That's possible.

If anybody lives near San Diego that wants to fool with this I can put you in touch.

Mike
            If you got the thousand, go for it! sounds like he has tired of it- not everyone has the patience for this stuff, but this site sure helps overcome that!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X